Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems that i have a prob with my idle control motor, or somethin along those lines. I sent it to the workshop the other week, after it was doin weird reving and stuff, like reving up to 1500rpm and down up down, etc. If the air-cons on, it settles it..... Thank god!

Workshop tested tps, and supposedly a few others things, and couldnt find any issues. Narrowed it to the idle control motor. Told me id have to buy a totally new throttle body?!?!

Now since im not a technically wiz bang car buff, ive read other post and assumed i pull off the motor, clean it, wack it back in and its fine. Some vacum lines look like they could do wit a replacement also.

Id be happy if people direct me to other post, hopefully with pics, so i can happily make this work. Cause its hard to drive, jerkin its arse and revin in dense traffic!

Any help or guidance would be gladly appreciated!!!

.BJ.

·
Registered
115 Posts
interesting mine did a similar thing would rev up and down as it pleased.. like at a stand still it would rev up to 1.3-1.5 and then to .2-.3 or even stall. i was told it could be the altinator

i took it to mazda and had a few lines replaced along with a slight vacume leek from the block. i also had my base iddle reset to 500

it seamed to fix it but recently i am noticing that on start up the car will rev as it should to get its initial revs and then struggle even stall... its worse if i put my foot on the gas..such as i often reverse out and then park my car in the drive still on but in nuetral just to close the gate and then when i get back in and go to put the foot down it sometimes stalls...or stalls as i am rolling back on the road like about to get 1st to go forward

so im not sure my problem was infact fixed if anyone has information on this it would be handy mayb its something small and easyly fixed mayb its not but a better understanding would be good

·
Registered
500 Posts
have a read of post 13 onwards here - I had similar problems. ended up being the gasket between the BAC & TB. you'll almost definitely need a new one if you remove the unit anyway. also cleaned both that valve and the EGR valve at the same time so it could have been that or a combo of all.

mechanic told me I needed a new ISC/BAC unit:

Unit - $1000 at mazda.

Gasket - $10.

tightass satisfaction factor - priceless. :smokin:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pjayb, how did you remove it? Ive tried, using a stubby srew driver and shifter. But i couldnt seem to make it wana come off??

Any tips?

Cheers,
.BJ.

pjayb said:
have a read of post 13 onwards here - I had similar problems. ended up being the gasket between the BAC & TB. you'll almost definitely need a new one if you remove the unit anyway. also cleaned both that valve and the EGR valve at the same time so it could have been that or a combo of all.

mechanic told me I needed a new ISC/BAC unit:

Unit - $1000 at mazda.

Gasket - $10.

tightass satisfaction factor - priceless. :smokin:

·
Registered
500 Posts
B_Jay6 said:
pjayb, how did you remove it? Ive tried, using a stubby srew driver and shifter. But i couldnt seem to make it wana come off??

Any tips?

Cheers,
.BJ.
yeah mate try what flav said first. mine wasn't too tough to remove luckily. they're roundhead screw cap bolts aren't they IIRC? If so I guess your last resort would be to clamp some needle-nosed vice grips on the head of each and try to loosen them. the screw bit and shifter will probably strip the head pretty easy, so that may be your only option.

just don't try heating the bolts or anything, the ISC contains thermowax so is easy to wreck. same goes for solvents etc when you're cleaning it - use very sparingly. good luck :)

pete

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
ummm, afaik, i have a spare throttle body with the idle control solenoid which was taken off so i could see how they came apart, but if ive still got the screws etc i can put it on for you. if your interested in another tb, pm me with an offer and ill send u pics etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts