Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I just purchased a 93 MX 4Cyl ATX with 60k miles.

After having the 60k service (timing belt, water pump...) i have developed a problem.

When stopped at a light (in drive) the car will occasionally "gasp, shake" and the idle will dip to < 500 for a second - and then resume to a nice - pretty smooth 750 RPM.

I've already brought it back to the dealer and they claim that the high octane gas is "too pure" and recommended using two tanks of lower octane gas and giving the car a good workout.

Sounds funny to me, i did not have this problem before the servicing. Any ideas would be appreciated - unfortunately i don't know anything about cars.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm not sure if the automatics do this, but what you're describing is a lot like how the 5 speeds re-learn their idle speed. Give it two or three days and see if it goes away before getting too worried.

Tyson

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 93 V6 ATX did this and my mechanic said it just needed new plug wires. So after switching them out on evening I have never had any dipping since. Don't know if it is the same on a 4 cyl. but if your wires are old you might swap them out. - Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wires

i switched to a lower octain gas, and will see if the idle adjusts itself - the wires are only a year old - but - i would consider replacing them, is there a preferred brand and on-line store i should use?

thanks for your help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this problem on my 93 ATX V6, and still do. I had the distributor changed and its been doing it since. Since I did the distributor swap at a dealer (man did it cost me!!) everytime I go for an oil change they adjust the idle speed and it works fine for a couple months and resumes again. I think this time around I'll tell them to fix it properly.

Go back were you did the maintenance and ask them to check the idle speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts