Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. i've been haunting the search feature for the last week or two, trying to pinpoint for myself what exactly my car has been doing. however, my searches have just led me to more questions. I just wanted to make it known that i did search, and i'm not trying to waste anyone's time. :)

onto the problems:
i've owned my 93 LS atx for about a month now. the old owner only had the car for a year and didn't really know anything about it. for the first two weeks she ran really well, until i was an idiot and left my lights on, draining my battery.

a friend gave me a jump, and i ran the car for awhile to get a charge back in the battery, but ever since, my idle has been extremely low, and the car stalls out frequently at stops. it seems to only do this when the engine is warm, but this morning, when i started my car, it did something entirely new: ran extremely rough and loud for about five minutes, and then settled down again.

over the weekend, i changed the oil, checked the spark plugs and wires, looked for any obvious leaks and exposed wires, and attempted to check for trouble codes. the checking procedure just made me realize that my check engine light has either been disconnected, or has burned out. auto zone can't check codes on anything earlier than a 96, so that option is out too.

does anyone know A) how difficult it is to access the bulbs for the instrument panel, B) if there's another way to check codes on the 93 and C) what the problem might be?

since i just got the car, i don't know much about its maintenance history, and everything that needs to be fixed is coming straight from the pocket of a poor college student. pity me (well, i'd settle for someone to educate me.)

thanks, and sorry this was so freakin' long.

G

·
To change the bulbs in your gauge cluster you will need to remove the entire cluster and take out the little bulbs in the back. I'd recommend buying a $12 hanes or other type of manual at your local parts store. It give you step by step instructions.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'll give it a WAG. When jumped there was a spike that goofed the ECU?
Or, the battery is actually toast, and the alternator cant put out enuff to cover all the needs of the engine AND the needy battery. Replace the ALT and BAT? Of course, a qualified tech should test both components before you part with cash to replace.
Hope these thoughts prove useful in your search for answers.
:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no idea... jumping the car could have screwed up the computer. we tried resetting it this weekend, but it didn't fix anything... otherwise, the battery seems to be working just fine; it hasn't drained since the incident, so i'd figure the alternator is fine, but it's worth looking into as much as everything else is...

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
magicfuzzball said:
no idea... jumping the car could have screwed up the computer. we tried resetting it this weekend, but it didn't fix anything... otherwise, the battery seems to be working just fine; it hasn't drained since the incident, so i'd figure the alternator is fine, but it's worth looking into as much as everything else is...
A lot of places will test batteries and alternators for free. It will clear up a lto of possibilities real quick. Beyond that maybe the ECU. Or a fuse somewhere got burnt when you jumped it. Take a quick look at the fuses under the hood or in the car and see if one of them might be gone.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll look into that this weekend when i go home to get new tires. and your signature is hilarious! :p

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
When i was having issues like this w/ my car, y'all said it was vaccuum hoses.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and what was it?

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
vaccuum hoses, just puttin in my 2 cents, not really sure if its worth 2 cents, though

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
everything's worth 2 cents if it can possibly fix the problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
batttery mabey ?

I would say your battery is shot and not holding charge. I left something on in my car and drained my battery to dead. Got a jump and drove it home. Next morning, it wouldnt really hold a charge and i was on my way to autozone.

Get'em tested.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would assume it's electrical since you seem to be having electrical issues. Just seems to coincidental to have managed to obtain a vacuum leak that coincides with the need for a jump.

As for the sig... I try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts