Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I have a 93 so I had to have the new distributor put in by Mazda and now about 2 weeks later the car idles like crap. I mean it shakes, I mean its not bad to wear you can see the car shaking, but it still shakes and if you watch the tach itll go from 500rpm to 700rpm up and down.. I put on a cone air filter if that could be doing it? Im going to try to get ahold of the dealership see what they say. But any suggestions from you guys would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
hmmmm. I've been noticing some nasty idleing latley too. I recently put on a cone filter as well but I dont see how that could be the cause of it. I related my bad idle to regular gas i had in, i feel the cars runs much smoother on 93+ octane gas so Im gonna use that from now on and see if it still idles baddly....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea its 99,000 miles and I only put in the best gas 93+ octane! Ive had all my belts replaced, and oil changed and fluids topped off. The next thing I think thats going is my transmission because it tries to downshift by itself when I let go of the gas, I mean unless thats how its supposed to be. Thanks for your help!

-Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
Assuming you already replaced the cap&rotor, plugs and wires around 55K... These cars are notorious for this problem around that mileage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks everyone who replyed! Mazda dealer wants to run some checks on the engine so maybe they'll find something!

Thanks!

-Chris

·
Registered
921 Posts
Let us know what was wrong with it. Im curious to find out. THanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Intake

Nope, I check that every weeknd and its a week old so that cant be it. Now I get a Electrical Malfunction light whenever the car is idling, so I think it could be the idle sensor or wire or something like that, Ill know for sure by tomorow nite! Ill let you guys know-hope its not expensive!

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...

Alright guys im back to tell you what was wrong, well they check the engine and they go if we dont do work and just check it, itll be 60$(just for checking) so he says a.) oil got into your spark plugs and that could be the problem, plus I was running some Champions, which he says dont run well with the MX6, so he changed and put in some NGK's, alright fine I wanted you know the new Iridium kind but he says these will work out better. So that costed me $9 for the plugs and 60$ on labor, then a waste disposal fee. B.) I need new spark plug wires and they'll cost me $85+ labor again I want to get some top of the line kind, you know and how hard is it to change plug wires? and lastly for the finally of problems with my car, he says that the gasket seals are bad, and he needs to remove the valve cover and change them, 150$ with labor, I dont have that im only 16 you know so I bringing it back home no music just enjoying the growl of the intake and i stop at the light about a mile from my house and guess what, the car starts idling like it did before and the light for electrical malfunction comes on. Well lets just say as soon as Monday comes around im going to have quite a chat with my sales advisor at Fairbanks Mazda! There you have it, could be your plugs, wires, or gaskets. Next week Ill buy new wires from like MSD or some good stuff and see if that helps! Ill kepp you posted!

·
Registered
61 Posts
a) i'm sorry but that's what you get for letting a dealer work on your car

b) unfortunately, idle problems can be hard to track down. your engine being mated to an automatic transmission can make it even more difficult. at least you know some of the things that AREN'T the problem.

i would go through this board and also probetalk.com and see what you can dig up on rough idles. it may be as simple as turning the idle adjustment screw.

·
Registered
475 Posts
good to know, I was thinking about changin my wires too. Let me know what type u get and where u get them. Not to mention how much u pay.
I just recently put in NGK V-power plugs and did notice some oil in the spark plug wells. I cleaned em out coog dna have been watching them the past few weeks and ahven't noticed any more oil collecting. I know I have to get teh valve cover gaskets changed but i dont have the moeny and well im just a procrastinator...

As for installing the new wires its extremly simple. Just un plug the old ones and plug in the new ones...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Yeah I was looking at Ractive wires since I know my friend can get me the hook up since they sponser him, Ill tell you how they go and if they help!

·
Registered
475 Posts
dude do u think u can get me hooked up? i neeeeeeedddddd them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey man unfortunatly the same thing happend to me.there is oil leaking into your spanks causing them to work like crap.this also fries your wires.you need to replace the vaulve cover gasket to fix the problem.its expensive if u have a v6 because they have to pull the intake manafold that sits over your rear vaulve cover.it casot me in all for the gaskets,wires,sparks,distributor cap and labor was about 380$ and thats at exxon.dont go back to the dealer your going to get rapped. hey man im 16 to i know how this shit is

95 v6

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm I was trying to see if I could install the cover gaskets myself... I know the front cam is easy (where the valve cover is) but the back might be difficult like you said about taking off the intake manifold- hmm. So you went to Exxon like the gas station exxon? Thanks man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts