Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently my car needs a new coil and igniter. My car will warm up then stall and not start again, does that sound right? So i got a quote from Mazda of $500CAN ($300ish US) does anyone know anywhere else I could get it (ie - NAPA) or if a scraped one would be salvagable. Does a 626, MX5, etc. fit/work in our car? What about performance options, is there such a thing?
Please help!?!?
Thanks.
Claeren.
---------------
Canadian '93LS

·
Registered
483 Posts
hello,

Well, $300 dollars seems a bit steep for the price of an ignition coil...I would go for an aftermarket. It seems very much so with what you are talking about. My mom's '88 camry had the same problem...it would stall while you would drive...it was the ignition coil. The part was only 175 dollars...i think if you check carparts.com they should have the part at a much lower cost plus using one of those internet coupons.

hope it works out well,

Anthony

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

They, mazda, quoted me seperate for the igniter and then the coil, 300+ igniter and 100+ coil. They said it could be something else (they haven't actually looked at it yet, just over the phone) but they were pretty sure. I will check out carparts but I don't know what the exchange will be like and then theres still shipping and tax. (aaaahhhh!!!)
Thanks for the help,
Keep it coming =),
Claeren.
----------------------
Canadian '93LS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well ,do what I did ,I had my ignition modified, with an external coil and ignitor, the rear end of my dissy was drilled and the coil wire was put through, and connected somewhere on the inside,then a couple wires were bridged and and was connected to a standard hall type ignitor module which was bolted to the body of the car. Cost me R1200 ZAr divid by 7,80 for US dollars. and off course works better than the stock type. If shit has to happen I only change the external bosch coil which is R150 and an ignitor which is R185 .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts