Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car just like died out while I was on the highway. It did it again as soon as I got back up to speed. So I had to like crawl home at very low speeds. Luckly I made it.
Now I just did some searching and found out that it is either the igniter or the valve cover gaskets. I also know that this problem is just gonna get worse if I dont fix it.
So what would u attriubute this sudden shut down to? I know I have to get new valve cover gaskets installed but I have just been procrastinating. But this problem sounds like it may be something with the distributor. How much does the distributor job go for? how much for the Valve cover gaskets? Also where would be best to get this done. My local mechanic or the mazda dealership?? Thanks alot for any help.

KJ

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just had a new distributor installed by the dealer last week. I paid $415CAN while the warranty company covered for $365CAN (which included the ignitor, towing, etc). Seems like in most cases the ignitor degrades as time goes on. In my case, the car wouldn't start at all -- there was no spark.

Later,
Peter

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Igniter.

Leaking VGCs will cause deterioration of the plug wires and shorting of spark energy, causing stumbling, rough idling and power loss, but not outright stalling. See my page under "Disty Fix" for details.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, ok I know I better get both the distributor fixed and the valve cover gaskets replaced. I know I cant do it myself. So where should I get it done? Mazda/Ford Dealership?

Also how much is replacing the distributor going to cost? I know u can get remanufactured ones but is that the best option? Whats Ford going to sell me?

OK thanks again.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
ford dealerships....

i dont think ford dealerships are going to work on your car. i know they dont in my town. wont even consider it. if you know a great independent mechanic go to them. usually cheaper. good luck kj.

solar

·
Registered
806 Posts
The disty and front VC gasket are DIY's. The rear VC can be a pain though so you might get it done by someone else if you don't trust yourself. When you pull your plug wires do you see any oil on them? If not, I would leave the VC's alone until you need to change them, but the disty is a now type thing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I see a little bit of oil in some of the spark plug wells. I figured since I need to do the disty now I might as well take care of the VGC's. I think Im gonna take it to my local mechanic. Hopefully I should get an ok deal but I always get the sense that Im getting screwed over....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts