Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2,614 Posts
Most will tell you that wasted spark is the way to go. I am using an Electromotive TECII that uses its own ignition system based on GM's Direct Fire Unit(DFU's) coilpacks. It uses a 60-1 crank trigger wheel and magnetic pick up sensor. Very effective considering how old the TECII system is. Its very accurate and performs well to my liking.

CAS goes well in Megasquirt, the wasted spark ignition used on mazda miatas. Not sure what to say about it as I have never used it. But others have and they'll chime in with their critique on it.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Wasted spark , with Megasquirt 1 V 3.0. I also use a 36-1 trigger wheel attached to the crank pulley. The best way to do correct spark is standalone, unless that is, that you can get an FE-DOHC harness and computer.

· Registered
8,047 Posts

· Registered
1,693 Posts

· Premium Member
4,400 Posts
I am using the factory dissy as my crank sensor and then i have a four coil ignitor and four bosch coils that i am firing sequentualy. On top of that, i have custom 9mm leads.
My sparkplugs are the stock ones, but i went one temp colder and i still have them gapped at 1.1mm which from memory is too big for the FE, but its never missed a beat even with the 300+whp

My ECU is the EMS 8860.

· Registered
8,047 Posts
i still have them gapped at 1.1mm which from memory is too big for the FE, but its never missed a beat even with the 300+whp
No such thing as too large a gap mate! You keep it like that. Gapping plugs down is a hack. They should be installed at the factory assembled size. Plat and Irid can't even be gapped according to ngk/bosch anyway. If you could jump at 2mm gap, you would and it would run even better. 1.1 is just great :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts