Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 4cyl auto. I heard that an Ignition system would do good on my car. What are your guys opinions on this?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
do you have an external coil? if not, its gonna be hard to do anything upwards of wires. if you do, then you could pop a better coil on, but according to MX6 BOY Jr. (if memory serves), the ignition is already good enought to the point where any "mods" you do wont provide a gain...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is doubtful that you will notice much difference, especially on a stock engine. The cars that will notice the difference are the ones that are replacing a points type system, but those were fased out years and years ago...

I would save this as one of the last mods you do; like when you have everything else done and are looking for something else to modify, then look into this. But for now save the money and use it elsewhere.

·
Registered
108 Posts
msd

i was thinking of sometime in the near future of upgrading my ignition through msd products but i have a few questions. what parts are all needed to upgrade the system. i already have the magnecor 8.5's so i wont change those but i was wondering do u only get the blaster coil and ignition controller and possibly cap ? any help is appreciated/

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
do you have an ATX?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i knew yours was ATX :D

... i was asking euromx6

·
Registered
108 Posts
for now

ya i have an atx right now but it took a crap on me so i am in the progress of a tranny swap, so i will be installing the ignition system after the mtx is in.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Could be a problem but...

The ATXs have the external coil... the MTXs have the internal coil (93-94, that is).

there is a 6 pin connector on the MTX disty that the 93-94 ATX disty lacks. im not really sure why mazda did this but it could pose a problem... but im not really sure. just a thought. maybe Mike 94PGT, the PCM god, can provide us with some oh-so-valuable knowledge...

·
Registered
108 Posts
well if that could cause a problem wouldnt using the ignition system for the atx be the solution seeing as the ignition is not at all touched by the tranny swap

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
euroMX6 said:
the ignition is not at all touched by the tranny swap

well both the 6-pin connector and the tranny are connected to the PCM... so they could be touching... im not sure...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Stage36 said:

well both the 6-pin connector and the tranny are connected to the PCM... so they could be touching... im not sure...
that statement was made meaning that nothing from the ignition is changed while performing the swap .

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
well if it doesnt work, thatll be why... im pretty sure the PCM is already calibrated to handle an MTX. maybe its just for timing reasons and... never mind... tell us how it goes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nah.. save the cash!

I agree, Stock wires are more than adequet. Unless your after asthetics don't bother changing them till they are clapped...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts