Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to set the Ignition Timing on a MX6 91 MAZDA LX I wanted to set the idling a little higer since it has a little shake so about 100 rpm higher would be great
Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the idle-speed is computer controlled. I don't think you can change it. I also don't think adjusting the timing would help that either.

But to adjust the timing, make sure your car engine is completely warmed-up. Turn off the car and and ground the test lead. You'll find it near the driver-side strut tower, and it is a single-wire lead and has connector is green.
Disconnect the two vacuum lines from the vacuum advance and plug them. Hook-up a timing light. You'll find the timing marks on the bottom half of the top timing belt cover. There's a small white line on the crank pulley and that represents when the engine is firing. 10 degrees BTDC is the correct timing for your LX. I think that's all you have to do to check the timing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a rather large recessed flat head screw on the throttle body. If you are at the driver’s side fender looking at the throttle body, it is on the left side. Unscrew it to make it idle higher.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To just adjust the idle you don't have to ground the diagnostics connector. If all you want to do is make it idle higher then don't connect it! You only need to conect it to do the timing. If you ground the diagnostics wire the car's idle will change. This is so you can set the idle at 750rpms for timing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's weird cause when i do the timing by the book my car has always idle low, 500RPMs. So the car is idling rough when i do the timing. fhmmm, i wonder if there is something wrong with my car.

I didn't know about the idle adjustment screw, thanks! it might come in handy one day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts