Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently replaced my distributor and so need to adjust my ignition timing. The only problem I am having is finding the timing mark on the crank shaft pulley. I can see the timing scale right next to it but no matter how hard I look (both above and underneath the car) I can't find the timing mark. Anyone able to help me out and maybe explain where it is so I can find it?

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
IIRC, the timing mark is on the outmost lip of the crank pulley, and is actually a tiny slit in the lip (maybe 1/4 inch long and 1/16 inch wide) starting from the edge of the lip going toward the center of the pulley.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
you got a timing gun? make sure the induction timing detector thing is on cylinder#1, which is the wire in the back on the left. when the gun is hooked up, it should light up as it senses the firing of the 1st cylinder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you are sure you got the new distributor in right, turn the engine by hand until distributor rotor lines up with the number 1 terminal. (On some cars, the lug wrench will fit the bolt on the timing pulley, and there is even a hole in the fender liner for it to go though, so you can easily turn the engine with your hand--or foot) You should then be able to find the timing mark on the pulley near top dead center on the timiing scale.

The timing mark is nothing more than a small notch in the pulley right beside the belt--on my car about 1/16 of an inch wide and deep. It is hard to see, especially if your timing light is not bright and the pulley has rusted. Once you find it, paint the mark, or paint the pulley around it (the mark will stay black).

·
Registered
44 Posts
well...

I don't know how to start my own thread (<- noob) but I hope someone can help me on here. I was doing my tune-up on my I4, and my girlfriend... distracted me, and i put the rotor on wrong, which messed the timing up I'm told. Well, I took it to a shop, they set it as best they could, and said that only the dealer had the tool to do it 100% right, the dealer set it, ran worse than ever (misses, stalls sometimes for no reason) and they blame my CAI (cold air intake). When I asked about why it ran fine with it before, they said I just didn't notice the problem. So for the sake of argument, I hooked up all the stock intake stuff, and it still runs bad. (planning on taking it back and complaining) any ideas whats going on?? please help the stumped guy lol

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
don't know about the I4, but there's always the possibility of installing your disty 180 degrees the wrong way

·
Registered
380 Posts
disty...?
Short term for distributor.... no wonder you got the rotor the wrong way around :p

J/k. Btw I never trust the dealer. They want $100 an hour over here... I think to myself, ok what if they are plain morons and spend 5 hours due to stupidity, do I owe them $500 in labour because they don't know what they are doing? :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nah, got the rotor on correct, and had the timing set by a shop, but they said that Mazda had some special tool to "do it right" and the damn car hasn't run right since. And on my G1 MX-6, the stupid thing only goes on one way, as opposed to my G2 which can go on one of three ways.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
what about the other side of the distributor? the part that goes into the block. that is the part that some people put in backwards if they aren't paying attention when they take the disty out. just a guess as I don't know what happens when you put it in 180 degrees

Nah, got the rotor on correct, and had the timing set by a shop, but they said that Mazda had some special tool to "do it right" and the damn car hasn't run right since. And on my G1 MX-6, the stupid thing only goes on one way, as opposed to my G2 which can go on one of three ways.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i dont think its possible to put the disty in 180 deg out, at least not on the v6 (not sure about I4) unless you really force it in which case you'de have to replace the disty itself or the camshaft turning it. and if you were able to put it 180 out the engine just wouldnt run because the spark would come during valve overlap. IMO you problem is your ignition wires got mixed up and your motor is running on 2 cyl. Did you make sure to ground out your ECU during ignition timing, if you didnt the ECU will just reset the disty to the old setting (at least try to) Perhapse you problem is your mass air flow is messed but who knows

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
see the below image for putting the distributor back in, the probable reason for no timing mark is because its all done by sensors. If you distributor has the marks shown in the pic, i would follow the instructions ... You have to ensure that no.1 piston is at Top Dead Center, and then align the dist as shown and put back into place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts