Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(i have the transmission out of the car, starter/all trans clips are dissconnected if that makes any difference at all. [i dont think it would])

I went out to start my car on saturday, batteries dead. jump it, it works fine.

parked it in the bay at my shop, pulled the key out so that its still in the slot, but nothings on. just sitting in 1/2 way.
pulled the transmission out yesterday, ran into problems today and couldnt finish it.

i went to grab my key, figured ide switch it on to see if it still had power. it did, all the gauges/lights came on full bright when i switched it to "on", when i flipped it back and out, the "on" lights dimmed a touch, but they stayed on. wtf?
slid the key in and out a few times, the lights would allways come on brighter in the "on" position, but would never go out when i removed the key.

i disconnected the battery, and reconnected. They did not come back on.. untill i put the key in and removed it. and again, they stayed on.

one more time, process repeated, they stayed on. finally just disconnected it and left.

The car has an aftermarket alarm, and it "beeps" for about 10 seconds whenever the ignition is switched to on. this alarm keeps beeping when the key is removed, so obviously its still getting power.

When i was working with the transmission, a wrench crossed the 1/8" that i had un electrical tapped on the battery relocation wire and the body/strut and blasted sparks for about a 1/4 second. ive had this happen before once or twice on random cars/projects/whatnot. I know it can wreck some electrical stuff, but could that be a cause of this?

any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ignition switch is clearly sticking - change it out. You may get a situation where you start her up and it sticks, burning your starter-motor out...

Also, possible fires are making me shake in my shoes.... for your sake.

·
Registered
717 Posts
... and I recall that you are not a fan of electrical.

Well, I would say that the starter is definitely a part of the ignition circuit. So maybe having it out would make a difference. Is is possible that you hood it back up, just the electrical connections to the starter, and see what happens?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah. i will just wait untill i get my trans back in and see what happens.

got my flywheel lightened today
one step closer})

1 - 4 of 4 Posts