Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question my car was sitting for like 2 weeks and i needed to turn the key so the tow truck driver could get it to turn well when i tried turning the ignition just to the on position(wasnt trying to start it) it wouldnt turn, the steering wheel was locked so after about 2 or 3 minutes i let my friend try and he was able to get the car into on and the wheel unlocked. Now, I was wondering does that have something to do with my key, like i might need a new one, or is there something wrong with my ignition and it being stuck??

·
Registered
515 Posts
On most cars if you turn the wheels without the key in the steering wheel will lock. Just put the key in and turn the wheel to unlock, then you can start your car.

·
Registered
947 Posts
?

:lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok let me try explaining this better because I think that might be the problem. Usually I have no problem getting my car to the on position locked steering wheel or not. This time I was trying to turn it to the on position and the key would just not move, like it was stuck. Hence, I was wondering has this happened to anybody before, and did they get a new key made? Or get a whole new ignition unit or whatever the correct name for it is, hope I explained it better. So yes I do know how to start my car its definitely not that lol

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Is this an automatic? Not sure how the mx6 auto works..but I remember on an older Gran Prix, if the gear selector was 'accidently' left in drive - you couldnt get the key out of the ignition.. Not sure if this is related..but just a thought that maybe your car was in 'gear' ?!?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
ignition key

Yeah, TJ makes a good point about if it's an ATX.
Also sometimes if the steering wheel is in a turned full lock position when shut off, it'll act a bit funky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts