Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....just bought it off of a kid last night for $250, still in the box!! Looks like it will bolt right on. Pro's and con's?:shrug:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny, I was just readin' one of your posts from way back in '05 about this that I found, now I'm trying to figure out something to do about the exhaust flange off the turbo, 'cause it's different.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
both are RHB5 centers and should be able to swap exhaust housings to our stock one.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
.....just bought it off of a kid last night for $250, still in the box!! Looks like it will bolt right on. Pro's and con's?:shrug:

if its brand new in the box its still a good buy i would think. A rebuild you are looking around 300ish i would believe and i think mazda wants something like 1100 bucks for a brand new one

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
maffatato15 said:
if its brand new in the box its still a good buy i would think. A rebuild you are looking around 300ish i would believe and i think mazda wants something like 1100 bucks for a brand new one
LOL. Call Mazda and you'll get a price quote close to $3,000. It also comes with the electric boost control solenoid and you have to buy everything as one unit.

As far as the turbo itself, you can swap the exhaust housing from the VJ11. When I measured the VJ5 that I had, it measured pretty close if not exact to the Vj11. I have never done this but you should be able to put the VJ11 compressor housing on the VJ5. I measured a mm or two difference in the compressor outlet but that could just be a one off thing. I have only measured one VJ5.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
idk i guess i read something wrong on here before......i think fromautozone you can get a complete setup 950 i believe.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figure either way, $250 is a steal for a brand new turbo!!:tup: I'll figure out somethin' soon and let ya' guy's know if it works.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
yeah i thought i read from mazda on here somewhere too. i guess i was wrong then.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone have an old downpipe for this VJ5 that I can cut the cat off of and weld on a downpipe to use, 'cause I really want to keep this new turbo together as 1 unit.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Why? Is it under warranty?

Take the exhaust housing off and replace it with the VJ11 exhaust housing. Bolt on. Done.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Seriously it's like 1/2 an hours work and no cost compared to god knows how many hours and $'s making up a new down pipe.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Yeah take the center cartridge out and use a good VJ1 exhaust side, or use the one that you have....the stock VJ11. What I do when I can't get a center to fit an exhaust housing (used mated to used...or even fit back together again after being seperated from each other) is before or after depending on how the inner cast iron looks like around the inner scroll and the heat shield on the turbine side. I simply go around very ligthly with a Dremel and a sanding wheel on both parts (the center cartridge behind the heat shield directly behind the turbine) rotate the heat shield as you deburr the cast iron.

You also do this to the inner side where the center cartridge lives (in the exhaust housing) and when you do that too, you keep checking that the center cartridge slips right in the exhaust housing and the turbine spins without scraping, then you're all good.

In your case, if the VJ5 is new then you can probably forget the CHRA polishhing and just concentrate on the exhaust housing. You may or may not need to do this on both sides if both mate together without an issue...but if they don't...you can use this method and I guarantee that if you do this and think about what you're doing it can easily be done without ruining the center cartridge. I understand you probably just dont want to do it but its really easy. seriously it really is.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I've already done the exhaust housing for you Moose...the VJ11 side.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why? Is it under warranty?

Take the exhaust housing off and replace it with the VJ11 exhaust housing. Bolt on. Done.
But it's so pretty, all shiny and new, as one piece!!:p But seriously, that would be a hell-o'-lot cheaper! Sick, it's coming your way soon. I'll throw in an extra $20 for a light polishing?;)

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Okay so you need an exhaust housing or you don't? I have one/a few to choose from. What condition is yours in Zach?/Specifically the wastegate hole. I told him if he wanted to package it up and send it my way I'd do it for shipping cost and take pictures for a "how to" anyways since it does seem to come up a lot. I suggested you but I know WA has gotten dumped on for rain in the past few weeks and to tell you the truth I havent done anything automotive related in like...months it seems like. I've been so bummed out lately on work and my Integra getting stolen, recovered and beat to crap, it needs so much work right now-AND a new clutch. To top that off it needs registration and a CA smog to even be driven. It couldnt have gotten stolen in a worse month. The MX6 isnt driving or registered and hasnt been driven in a year and I'm rolling a borrowed 1994 Camry (when it starts) and or the bus to work and rides home. Yeah it's that bad.:lol:

So I just need a break ya know- some simple motivation to get me out into the garage again, get something cool done, stress reliever, take some pictures...chill out for a bit.

I have off this coming weekend so I'm hoping it gets here by then and I can get it done and back to him right away. I just need to know if you alreay have an exhaust housing waiting to send to him or if it's gone out already or? Just so we're on the same page.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
There's the one off of a stock VJ11 that I finally put together for him...losing new turbine seals sucks :-/

This wastegate hole has two minor cracks, I ported it out a bunch from what it was. I could barely get the tip of my index finger in the hole, now I can it up to my second knuckle. I also polished the turbine exit a bit. It's pretty smooth :cool: I might need some better tools though...I can never seem to get to the "bare" metal no matter what I use :(

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Ahhh, I use ordinary sanding wheels and a dremel to start and go down from there. I get the rough stuff off, glass bead/sand blast it in my garage and use aluminum oxide stones when I need to. I've found some serious deviations in the stock cast exhaust housings.

One time I found a turbo (a VJ11) that was operating fine, the turbine wasnt scraping anything, but when it was seperated there was a huge casting flaw that extended laterally from the backside of the housing to the front. The funny part was that the turbine didn't hit it at all, but it was VERY close. I'm talking paper. If this turbine started to wobble at all, this thing would have seized no doubt. I got it apart, deburred that spot, and it's operating great to this day. granted if it was just left alone it may be fine too but....I doubt it. You know how that goes. lol

Once I get everything clean and I can inspect it a little better, I use whatever I have to to get it done. I go from rough to smooth and eventually spin blue aluminum oxide at 26,000 rpm to get the cast pretty much smooth like glass. I also use polishing compounds once thats done too and finish it off with meguires :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts