Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Pull the motor and change the IM at the same time

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so the ZE went in just sweet, i hooked the fuel lines up the wrong way but thats what you get for working at 2 am once that was solved it started first go and runs sweet. But today a walked out to the shed to and had a quick look under the car for any fluid and it looks like the rear main seal is leaking :mad: i am so pissed because i should have changed it, it is a $12 seal!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone on the cruise in sydney slap me up the back of the head for being such a fuck wit. So what do you think i should do, drop the box out or just pull the motor and change the IM over at the same time? It isnt a real fast leak so i should be able to clean it for the blue slip and hopefully it passes. I am so angry with myself :mad:
Edit:
The reason i didnt change it was because it wasnt showing any signs of leaking

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Damn man that sucks. Id say drop the box?
Lolol, I did the same thing with the fuel lines to fitzys car today. Classic moment of fail. Same thing too. ZE swap and all. Haha.
Hope you get it sorted tho. Youve come this far, cant be too much more now. ;)
PS, may I ask, which intake manifold are u changing to? and from?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Firstly, changing the Im (assumed gasket) over? didnt you do that when you were putting it in? or is IM not meaning intake manifold?

Second, drop the box out, easier than pulling the motor out again imo

i got my ze started today, much LOL, we did EXACTUALLY the same thing with the fuel lines :p *btw, have a vid of her first run for those that like noise, engine ended just b4 the cat YouTube - KLZE - First run*

good luck and getting her up and running proper soon (mines not there yet, i have a stuffed coolant pipe that needs attention)

*EDIT* wow, watching topgear while typing means paul gets the post in b4 me lol

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Supose you have goten the CVs pushed in all the way and the drain-filler plugs are tight?
or is it def motor oil

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
I would probably drive it around for a week or so and see if there is anything else wrong, then pull the motor out again and change all the seals this time, and then stick the ZE IM on....

I dont know what set up you used to get it out, I guess thats the real decider...

If I still was living in my old place with garage setup I had, I could have the engine out and back in over a weekend.
My current setup, It take me a week with all the shuffling of things needed to deal with a small space.

All I can say is let this be a lesson to all....change all the stuff that wears out when the motor is out! Do all your seals and gaskets, the timing belt, tensioners and idlers, and the clutch. Yes I know that can cost a bit, but at least this way you can be reasonably confident you will get 3-5 years of trouble free motoring.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the DE intake manifold on for the blue slip so i will be changing to the ZE intake manifold, We will be able to do it in a weekend easy we had the motor out in a day and this time we know a bit more about what we are doing. The reason i am thinking pull the motor is because i don't think it will be very easy taking the box out when the car is only on stands if i can use my friends workshop with a lift i will take the gearbox out and yes please learn from my stupidity

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will not take the gearbox out whilist it's on stands.

Thanks to the english guy who wrote the Gearbox conversion, and used jack insted of hoist i found this out the hard way.

:)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Tip: If it's not broken, don't fix it. (Usually works!!)
This is what I got taught in my apprenticeship, for example when doing timing belts, "If cam and crank seals aren't leaking, don't change them" Because sometimes when you change them they leak! (I know people are going to say "That's only if you don't do it properly" but that's not always the case)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I always change every seal - LOL I got 4 pairs of CV's Seals ready for the next box swap LOL

nah I say blue slip it first - degrease the sucker the night beofre insepction.
depending on your inspection station of course- LOL NSW BLUE SLIP LOL

if it's still leaking change it and do the IM. ONce they leak they only get worse.

DQUIK1 if that was the attitude at Qantas - Planes would be falling out of the sky. Oh that's right now I remember why they got rid of all of us. We were too expensive, because we always did the JOB RIGHT. Not cheap - right. Oh well can't wait for the other cheap world wide airlines to start to fall out of the sky.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
Tip: If it's not broken, don't fix it. (Usually works!!)
This is what I got taught in my apprenticeship, for example when doing timing belts, "If cam and crank seals aren't leaking, don't change them" Because sometimes when you change them they leak! (I know people are going to say "That's only if you don't do it properly" but that's not always the case)
I do know what your saying....sometimes a shaft seal can make such a groove in the camshaft or crankshaft, that if you install a new seal and the lip sits partially in the groove and partially on fresh metal, then yes it can leak....its a case of making sure the seal sits where the old one did, or shim it out slightly so it sits entirely on fresh metal.

But....most "customers" are looking for the lowest price, which is probably why you would have been advised to not change stuff unless its a problem now. (plus you get return business when it finally does go wrong - excuse my cynicism) As an enthusiast, thats the opposite attitude to what you want...I like to stay ahead of broken stuff.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I totally agree with cheif tool.
That attitude is why alot of people cars fail for silly things.

everytime my car fails it's because of my ABUSE or well my abuse of the power really. Never been a maintance issue.
but as an enthusist who changes every fluid once a year min. and I mean every fluid, you do end up noticeing the cost difference.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When I'm doing a job for myself or for someone I know, I usually do it properly unless I really suspect that something will go wrong by doing it the 'proper way'. I hate taking shortcuts but some employers love it, not only do some take shortcuts, but they charge you for doing the work that they didn't even do! One reason I got out of my job, couldn't work for a dishonest person/people.
But at least you see where I'm coming from with my previous posts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts