Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so today was a little nicer than yesterday and I decided to work on my car. I wanted to get the alternator off, which I got done successfully. Check one thing off the list. :tup: Now I just need to pick up my new one from Mazda and install it.

While I was there I also decided to drain and replace the radiator fluid since I am unsure when I did it last. I couldn't get the valve opened so I tried using a pair of pliers to help turn it. Of course it broke off which made my whole day more complicated than it had to be. :( I then proceeded to remove the entire radiator. :mad: I need to take it to a local radiator shop to be flushed and checked out and to see if they can put a working valve on it.

When I took off the hoses I noticed how bad my coolant really looked. I caught some in a gallon jug and finished removing the radiator from the car. The coolant has a very light oily sheen on top and it is also a pretty dark gray color. I now needed to check my oil for traces of coolant to see if I have a bad head gasket.

The [fizzle]ing oil plug is frozen onto the oil pan. :damnmad:

So I sprayed some penetrating grease on it so that hopefully in an hour or so I can get my oil out and see if I have a bad head gasket or just really old coolant in my car. Either way it's much more work than I wanted to do but I guess that comes with owning a 15 year old car.

I guess my car is going to be sitting for longer than I had planned.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
if your oil plug is frozen to the oil pan, use impact. Get an open end wrench put some pressure on it and hit the end of the wrench with a hammer (or just use an impact wrench if you have one). Usually takes care of that pretty quick.

i stripped one of the studs on my exhaust mani in the fall on my 626 so i've had an exhaust leak for the winter. Went to fix it thursday and all the studs broke/stripped so i'm replacing the manifolds on my crappy winter car.

while i was doing that, for some stupid reason one of the egr bolts broke off in the head and i can't get it out....so ya...two days of work instead of a couple hours......

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
thats weird. constantly being around oil and heat, that plug should come right out.

I'm not gonna bother working on either of my cars today, because something will probably go wrong and that would ruin my birthday

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, that doesnt help.

I'd tell you to start the car and let it run for a while, but you currently have no radiator so thats out of the question.

And no offense vandejm, but i wouldnt use an impact to remedy this problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sounds like today is NOT a good day to work on your car Chris :D
HBD scatman.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha,you're right, it's probably not a good day to work on it. At least it's not my primary driven vehicle. It can sit for a month for all I care. I would like to drive it this summer though.

Edit: I got the oil plug out and the oil isn't milky or anything. I think my coolant was just old.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thats good to hear.

thanks dOs

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'm lucky :) I havent had any stuck or snapped bolts or studs on my 6 ever.

It's one of the reasons I love it so much! I have pulled parts fron junkyard cars and they are usualy pretty bad but other than the exhaust bolts nothing yet has given me trouble. And the only reason I had to fight with the exhaust is because I didnt have one to put on after my headers. So I used a legnth of pipe from my busted exhaust to silence it a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're lucky. I haven't had too many stuck bolts but when they are stuck they are the ones that cause problems.

On a good note, I did finally get some things accomplished. I got the radiator out of the car and dropped the coolant and oil (I guess those are good things), I cleaned up the wiring harness a bit while I was in there, and I installed King6's poly trans. mount. I also started to mock install the traction bars I bought from Radar. They are going to be so awesome.

The engine bay is looking pretty good aside from missing everything in front of the headers. :p

·
Registered
140 Posts
yea, i just dropped my block back in, and the very bottom block to transmission bolt snapped as i was torquing it....:p time to get the drill out :*(

·
Registered
817 Posts
lol isn't that the way car work goes.... It seems like anything that can go wrong WILL!!! It's always a snapped head off of a bolt or a bolt thats stuck and won't come out. My favorite is poor designing from the factory that makes reaching things next to impossible without taking off half the engine... For instance, the altenator placement on the 2G I4....Don't know if anybody found that to be a PITA but it's practically touching the firewall and shoved behind EVERYTHING...

This is the reason that it's always soo satisfying to do it yourself and marvel at the finished product. That and a wallet thats about a few hundred bucks more padded lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah!!! The greatest thing about our cars is their ability to drive extended periods of time until we actually get around to fixing them. Once we start to work on them, we find something else that is worse. We can then ignore it for a while and keep on driving. It seems like the closer we get to making them 100%, the more we find

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, that doesnt help.

I'd tell you to start the car and let it run for a while, but you currently have no radiator so thats out of the question.

And no offense vandejm, but i wouldnt use an impact to remedy this problem.
not sure why you wouldn't. Impact is the quickest and least damaging way of removing stubborn bolts. esp in a case where its not like anything could be damaged because of it

to take it out wouldn't be a problem. i wouldn't use an impact to put it back in mind you

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The reason I had so much trouble with it was because I couldn't fit a socket on the plug with my tubular subframe on the car. I could fit a regular wrench but I was dumb and tried to use a 12 point instead of a 6 point. I rounded the [fizzle]er off. Good thing hughes46 sold me one for $5. :tup:

ALWAYS use a 6 point wrench on your oil plug. :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts