Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Probe today, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Most of you probably dont remember me, I used to have a black 96 LS MTX. I since moved on to *slightly* more powerful things. The MR2. Anyways, the MR2 is going to become a toy rather than a daily driver. It's a bit too modified for as much as I drive, and the gas mileage sucks. So here's the dirt on the Probe:

It's a 1996 Probe SE (the nice bumper).
115k miles
Manual Transmission
Dark Green, body has one flaw on it.
Interior needs a new headliner and sun roof is off track.
Good AC and Heater
Blown Motor (well, at least a bearing for sure)
$250

So I'm just going to throw in another motor and drive it daily. Yah.

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I just have to purchase a new motor. Most of his components are new (water pump, fuel pump, brakes) etc

·
Banned
1,166 Posts
screw the i4 go with a new v6. nice to see you joining the dark side andrew. im planning on getting a probe if i join the navy like im planning on.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, why would I want a v6? I've got the MR2 to tinker with. I want cheap insurance and gas mileage. And it's a PITA to swap in a v6 for the i4.

Get on aim Shawn.

-Andrew

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
xxtavixx said:
Ya, why would I want a v6? I've got the MR2 to tinker with. I want cheap insurance and gas mileage. And it's a PITA to swap in a v6 for the i4.

Get on aim Shawn.

-Andrew
good deal, just drop in another FS for a couple hundred bucks and i think youd have a very good daily driver...good luck..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I'm hoping. I've trying to purchase a new motor, and no one has one locally save the grave yards.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
very nice man... you'll love the cargo capacity of it too.. theyre like little friggin pickup trucks with the rear seats removed.. lol.

Reactions: crusty

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha you always have something unusual to say Steve!

Well, time for an update guys:

I pick the car up, knowing it has rod knock like a mofo I decide to drive it 17 miles to my Uncle's house where I will be doing the work. Between us, is a 3 mile bridge that has one quite large penacle. Everything went smooth until that point. I hear a small thump, I see blue smoke all behind me. Motor is off. Lovely. To top it off, I am doing 70mph just starting the uphill climb. This is 3.5 miles into my journey. So I coast and manage to get to the dead top of the hill. My buddy who is following me pulls over, I get out and we chuckle about it. We want to see if there is a hole in the block. So I pop the engine bay. Oh, gee willacers, a fire. We both stand there, looking at this fire. We have nothing. We remain, looking at this fire devour the motor and start chuckling. What else are we going to do? We talk about a few ideas, neither of us had to urinate...not to mention we are on an extremely well used interstate. Police pass us, there is smoke going over my newly purchased car and they continue to pass us. We laugh some more. We call FHP and they put us on hold 4 times before finally transfering us to the fire department. They dispatch out, and I call AAA. They put me on hold when I specified it was an emergency. Go figure. Well, my buddy goes back to his car and sits down. I recall seeing a water bottle in his car. I run over there, he's drinking it. I grab it from him and pour it on the fire, call the dispatch off and used a 8 ft tow rope to finish my journey. That was scary. Being 6 feet behind a big ol truck doing 65mph, some people actually tried to get in between him and I. Idiots.

Anyways, all is good, not bad damage. Just a 3"x3" hole below the thermostat. I am picking up a complete motor for $600 in the next few days and dropping it in.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
damnit goatcrapp... your freaking avatar is distracting eveything i read your post! lol but it's still awesome

nice find man, welcome back to the community, although im sure ive seen you post regularly anyways :D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive been active on the boards. I don't post nearly as often as I used to. Usually only if someone asks me to do or something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts