Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to talk to the painter guy today. I'm gonna do all the disassembly and prep work, then he's gonna shoot it. Let me tell you, my metallic maroon is a damn expensive color!

I only had one dent in my car, where a deer jumped into the side as I was driving by! (Have any of you seen the Karate Kid movie where Mr. Miagi karate chops that dented fender, and the dent just pops right out?) Well this painter guy was looking at it, and that's exactly what he did. He smacked it with the palm of his hand and the whole thing just popped right out...no more dent. It was really cool.

Anyways, does anyone have recommendations for prep work supplies, such as really high quality primers and sanding stuff? Also are there any forums like this all about body work?

·
Registered
645 Posts
antiSUV, probably the best materials you can use for prep work are found at your local PPG automotive paint store. If you're going with a base-coat/clear-coat paint job I highly recommend Omni AU High Solids Urethane Clear (MC161), Omni AU Slow topcoat Hardner (MH168), and reduce this with 10% Omni Medium reducer (MR186)....Do not exceed 10% with reducer. With Hardners and reducers you usually have three choices: slow, medium, and fast. You make the decision on which to buy in relation to the tempature. For example use slow hardners when it's hot and slow when it's cold. Now if you're using a climate controlled paint booth then you can keep it at the desired temp. and use products accordingly. This Omni AU Clear is the best looking clear short of the PPG 2020 clear which costs over $200 a gallon.

·
Registered
645 Posts
mistake......sorry

For example use slow hardners when it's hot and slow when it's cold.

What I meant to say: Slow hardners when it's hot and fast when it's cold

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I caught that typo due to my experience with other catalysts that I used in Industrial Design School. Thanks for all the info Johnathan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts