Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys...after some very good advice from both Craig's ;)
ive decided i will be gutting the CAT. Craig M has never steered me wrong in the past, and frankly he knows his ****.

Anyway, i will be doing it on monday and wondering if theres anything i need to do or know about gutting it, removing the CAT or putting it back on?

cheers guys :)

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Well if you GUT your cat and you get found out, you get one BIG fine, not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well frankly...i have NEVER in my 19 years of my life seen any EPA testers in sydney...i very much doubt most cops' ability to know much at all about cars. i remember few months ago i was pulled over for breath test, 5 people in the car, it was basically on the ground, yet the cop's didnt say **** about it.

anywya..can we get back to advice about gutting..im not interested in wheteher or not i should GUT it..as i said i WILL be doing it

thx guys

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i agree.

and im not sure if you will be able to chuck a replacement cat back on to save yourself the fine, once you get busted.

your car is going to spell like petrol, and if caught, your in for a fine in the area of 5 - 10k.

all for 3 or so kw? your better off finding a 2nd hand cat from something like a v8 commo..

and think about the environmenT!!

(not that i can talk.. i literally leave a patch of petrol on the road if i rev my car at standstill.. my cat is fine, car is just running too rich.. but im saving up for aftermarket management to cure that!)

oh well, its your decision mate. hope you get good flamage out the back though, that would be cool!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im not gutting it for power gain...my CAT is badly clogged, and it stinks already(that burned eggs smell)...and im not buying another high flow CAT which will get clogged again since my car is running rich...

anyways..any advice about actually doing it ?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol...ill note that ;)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm yum ;)

what does everyone think of putting a straight/test pipe instead of the CAT?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
would be good so that you can take it out and replace it with your original cat when needs be.

but ur one is stuffed so there goes that idea.

probably better thing to do still IMO

·
Registered
123 Posts
advice: dont do it!!!!

its a stupid idea just to skimp on some $$$. and by the time u make up a replacement pipe and get it sorted it will be a waste of time....also if u ever go to sell teh car ur gonna have to get one to pass roadworthy.

if cops do pull u over at a defect station u can kiss ur ass good bye cause they will notice it missing (happend recently on teh gold coast)

also the fine is $10 000 from teh EPA in NSW.

Oh and when u get the tune and new cat i bet it will cost less than $10 000.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
guys please spare me ... i will be GUTTING on monday...is there any REAL advice anyone can offer me pleasE?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, don't do it when the exhaust is hot, your hand will go burny.... wait, did someone allready offer that peice of advice :idea:

hehe umm on a serious note, save yourself the trouble of gutting it and go to the wreckers to find a replacement.

Always remember AzZa's words of wisdom.

"No CAT, don't do that! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
ducktape69 said:
guys please spare me ... i will be GUTTING on monday...is there any REAL advice anyone can offer me pleasE?

Wait until Tuesday!
Don't worry about what the others are saying, do it when the exhaust is hot .

Why do you post about your car running rich & contemplate a fine twice the value of your car, instead of just taking your car to someone to diagnose the problem & fix it? Sell one of your amps, that will pay for it (and save a bit of weight). I've been pulled over twice by Qld Tpt for an emissions test in the last year, I don't think it's worth the risk.
Fix you "rich" problem and replace the cat.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I can tell you how to gut it
I personally would rather grab a GM delco V8 ones but Who cares

Pull it out Now go and find one large steel pole

OH I forgot don't breath in the stuff you may look tough but it's like smoking a Cigar but like 3 of them in one go. Plus can kill you apparently. It's filled with platnium and stuff.

So yeah pole place between bricks and start banging the pole into it untill you at the other side.

I recommend Street sign poles you know the ones with no standing- no use for anything. So yeah one of them does good on most cats.

I would watch it with the EPA they are around it's just going to be the one day thewy will catch up but hey , Like I care.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think you've had enough warnings.

A large second hand cut can be bought for $50. If you REALLY are sure this is your problem, it's a cheap fix.

But like Rod said, rip out your cat, bash it through with a pole or broomstick etc etc. Pretty simple really....but not worth it. :rolleyes:

Pete

·
Registered
793 Posts
by using your origional cat and punching a thru the fibreglass, or removing it all together can cause a swirling action of exhust flow inside of the cat and restrict it a bit so i have heard.
however i pulled up next to a tx5 turbo one day it had 17s, he said remove your cat it will give you sh*tloads of power, i didnt take his word for it tho cause he didnt even go me

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gee... all that trouble for a stinkin exhaust. I thought pigs here in the U.S. had nothin better to do. "Freedom" is hype, but thank goodness for leiniency.

But a logical opinion on your quest for advice: At this point, either way it goes (gutting or not), you can't pass an emmissions inspection. In order to do so, you'll have to replace yer cat. With Gutting it, you gain power and the pigs are none the wiser. Getting a new one costs cash. Might as well put off the purchase until absolutely neccisary and ride with a few extra ponies or kilowatties (or whatever horsepower is down there).

I was gonna suggest just installing a 2-1/4" straight pipe like I did, but after further reading, I see it's not that simple with cops in your country running around looking under folks' cars and stuff. Your plan seems to be the best alternative to a pricey replacement or getting busted with a straight pipe. My recommendation is to overbore the inlet and outlet ends as well. Use a pole and hammer away. Or use a straight pipe, split the converter and place both halves over the straight pipe to look like it's a cat.

I also think all the ninnies saying "don't do it", "it's bad for the enviornment", "what about the pigs", "blah, blah, blah, whine, whine, whine", need to grow some damn balls (or borrow a set from your mom). People don't always get caught for shyt, geez. Stop cryin`. And a catalytic converter only helps at high operating temperatures. If ya wanna get technical about it, gutting the cat will lower backpressure. Lower pressure allows a freer flow. Freer flow translates to more gas mileage. Further on less gas is good for the enviornment. Stop cryin`.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
With only reading the title,

I have described how to do it only.

I have "CATS" on both my cars and would only be doing this as a temp thing while waiting on gettin a new "CAT".

Oh and by the way, if you are doing it. Dont advertise IT.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts