Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of buying a 93+ 626 V6 is there anything i should be aware of and/or check before i buy one. Any sugestions would be much apriciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
well

i have a 93 626 Es v6 5spd...Blk w/ tan leather for sale..need rear strut and cv joints...car runs perfect oil changed every 2000k..car has 145k on it and 75k on rebuilt motor i have recipts ness. i am lookin to get 3500...OBO willin to talk get back to me thanks...RUNS GREAT!

·
Registered
88 Posts
steveromine72 said:
Im thinking of buying a 93+ 626 V6 is there anything i should be aware of and/or check before i buy one. Any sugestions would be much apriciated.

Thanks,
Steve

The Valve Cover Gaskets have a tendancy to blow... that's the only significant problem with them... very good car

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Re: Im thinking of buying a 93+ 626 any sugestions

Chthonian said:
The Valve Cover Gaskets have a tendancy to blow... that's the only significant problem with them... very good car
uh, no, that's not the only significant problem with them.

1. Rear calipers. If they haven't yet locked up, THEY WILL. Design defect. Rebuild units cost about 130 after u give them your old one. New from mazda?...$$$ don't ask...

2. Distributor. Early designs prone to failure. If it hasn't been changed yet, it will blow sooner rather than later (11 year old car) An expensive repair.

3. CV joint boots tend to tear after 5 years or so... need to check those.... leave them torn for a while and u will need new cv joints.

4. Water pump... well, goes on every car after a while I guess. But the 93 has an older model with 16mm shaft that was later upgraded to 32mm shaft so it wouldn't fail so quick.

5. Rust problems. Stock paint absolutely blows. The thinnest paint I've ever seen on a car. Looks like crap. Clear coat peels. Rust around trunk and upper windshield close to a pillars.

prolly forgetting some stuff... but that's all for now...

But overall I still like the car. But some thing piss me off, like the fact that mazda didn't do a recall on the calipers. They paid for the part for customers in the UK.

Fun to drive with a v6 and a 5spd.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
CD4E autobox

There is an automatic gearbox called the CD4E which is fitted to 626's. It was dreamed up by Ford and is prone to failure, and probaly best avoided.

The 4EAT gearbox which is fitted to all V6 MX-6's is much better but I don't know if Mazda used it in the 626 at all.

If you want an auto check the condition of the transmission oil. If it has been neglected the box will be stuffed.

regards,

ian Chequer

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 626 GT V6 for sale
J plate with Manual box quick clean car and so far have never had it skip a beat and have never spent a penny on repairs...just the usuall brake pads and general servicing ! nice firey red and will part with it for £1400 if the cash is there! 110k on the clock and not a spec of rust to be seen anywhere! Pics will be posted shortly for the interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts