Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beloved MX-6 has just been written off, I was just gonna replace it with another one but I now have the chance to own a rare old rally car... its a 2.0 turbo widebody version, generally tidy with bigger turbo and a few other bits and bobs, anyone owned one or have any advice? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Its a DSM. That is enough to steer most people away. I personally would love to own one. As long as its clean and runs good then I say go for it if its a decent price.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Ive known a few people with them. The front wheels were on the jackstands more then they were on the ground. I also owned one, It had a cracked block and it was going to be my project car.. ended up selling it for $100 because it was a pita to work on. That was after storing it for 5yrs. ..

Damn thing was in mint condition to.. black leather, no rust on the body, huge rear tires..

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Starions are technicaly pre DSM. And they all came with SOHC 2.6L around here I believe.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Diamond Star Motors, a joint venture between Mitsubishi/Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
DSM as the corporation existed back to 1985, but the co-op agreement between the companies was firmly in place back to the 70's. The starion/ conquest twins are one such result.

I'd love to get my hands on one.. great looking, if not niche vehicles.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Weren't these always in for warranty main bearings when they first came out with the turbo??!!:eek: Fun car, that's for sure! Does a 4G63 drop in one?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
DSM as the corporation existed back to 1985, but the co-op agreement between the companies was firmly in place back to the 70's. The starion/ conquest twins are one such result.

I'd love to get my hands on one.. great looking, if not niche vehicles.
I thought it was just back to 88-89? Oh well it's no big deal. The starion is very different technicaly than the later FWD/AWD DSM's and much of it is pure Mitsu.

I'd drop the turbo motor in a B2600 though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
DO IT!!!!!! Get it, I kick myself in the ass for not buying one the two chances I had.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I would stick a Dodge D50 transmission onto the end of it ;)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was looking at the Starion a while back, before I starting trying to get the house I'm getting now. But, I saw some pretty nice Starions for under 2k.
I always refered to them as Conquests though. Not sure which version the Conquest is.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
conquest is the chrysler car. starion is the mitsubishi badged.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The Starion/ Conquest was a sweet car back in its day. I haven't seen one on the road in a long time, but it would be a fun car to tinker with.

·
Registered
959 Posts
fun cars, i was under the impression that they had a 2.4 liter turbo myself, but thats just going off of a fuzzy memory. loads of torque. in it's day ( and up to present ) they had the largest intercooler ever put into a 4 cylinder car from the factory. they were the predecessor to the eclipse/talon/laser. and much better handling. they didnt have the trans problems of the later fwd cars, but they often have been abused for the last 20 years. so check everything before you plop down the money.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
After looking up this kind of car (had no idea what this was lol) It looks like a pretty decent car, of course the closest listed on near me is 948 miles away lol. I wouldnt mine owning one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts