Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Please bear with me. Once you have everything taken off to install the spacers, would it not be a good time to replace the gaskets for the Valve cover(I think that's what they're called)? The two covers that the spark plug cables plug into. Replacing these would eliminate/prevent the oil leak problem common with our cars. Right? How much do the gaskets cost and do I have to get them from the dealership or any auto supply store will do? I assume the MX6 and Probe V6 gaskets are interchangeable?
For those of you that have done the Phenolic mod, approx. how long did it take? (I'm moderately mechanically inclined and have tools.) I know the theory behind the spacers but is there really a noticeable difference?
Thanks in advance for all your help on this one.
Wally

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What I wanna know is where do you buy the spacers at?? And how much are they?

G

·
I just did all this the other day. It is a good time to replace the valve cover gaskets, and it will only take about an hour longer to remove, clean (with screwdriver and acetone) and replace the valve covers with new gaskets (cost about 25-30 dollars apiece). You might just save yourself some heartache down the road. I also used this time to paint my front valve cover (black) and intake manifold (grey). Because of the painting and whatnot, and because I broke a valve cover bolt (CHECK TORQUES OF THESE BOLTS!!! 7-8 N-m!!! NO MORE!!), and because I also had to replace my oil pressure switch (damn that was a pain in my ass), and because I'm generally a lazy a$$ it took an entire 3-day weekend, but you could do it in a long day, and try to get a friend to help you. Make sure you have a torque wrench with in-lbs and all other tools and whatnot. The phenolics are pretty easy, and I used gaskets where they met the engine, and gasket sealant where they met the intake manifold. You can get them from Sean Morgan's site, which I can't remember, but if you do a search for phenolic spacers you'll find it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes, I would go ahead and do the valve cover gaskets at the same time and the Probe GT and Mazda MX-6 2.5L use the same gaskets. You are right there. Ford seems to have more dealerships in my area, while the Mazda one is a trip for me. In this case the dealerships seem to have much better prices than the parts stores. I payed $20/gasket at my local Ford shop. When reading your torque wrench remember its inch lbs., not foot lbs. People breaking the valve cover bolts is a pretty common occurence.

·
Registered
321 Posts
spacers

Alright I hate to sound like a dummy but what do these spacers do?!!!! if it is really good then I will look into doing it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i know everyone else already said this, but do em at the same time. i got the felpro gaskets for about $50. they got here today. thats all i was waitin on to install my new stg 5 RP manifold, phenolics and 65mm T/B.
i'm hopin i'll find time this weekend :)

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts