Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning chaps

Had a funny thing happen yesterday. Unlocked the car with the remote, got in, put the key in, turned it and got nothing. Fuel pump in the tank whirred, dash lights, annoying bonging alarm for not having my safety person restraint TM plugged in, but no starter motor.

Having assumed I had re-armed the immobiliser by mistake I pressed the button on the remote, the doors locked and the hazards flashed. OK

Unlocked/disabled the alarm again and turned the key. Nothing but a fuel pump pumping fuel into a non-spinning starter motor.

After about five minutes of locking/unlocking the beast roared into life, spat out all the unburnt fuel (another one of the cat's nine lives gone) and ran perfectly all the way home. Since then, I have had no problems.

The question is imminent distributor failure? immobiliser failure (I have heard that early 6's had immobliser soldering probs)? or one off?:shrug:

Duncan

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Duncan

Ok good news ....

1) The MX6 ( as far as i know ) never had any immobiliser issues ( unlike the probe - hehe )

2) The symptoms you describe are not the normal ones experienced by a distibutor problem. Enve though your MX6 is the correct 'vintage' to have one at some point ( however so have both of mine and ive never had a problem )

Ok so what could it be ... I think your correct in it being the immobiliser id guess dodgy wireing / fuse holders on the alarms circuit. Is your alarm mounted on the bulk head slightly right of centre ( looking at front of car ) ? If so follow the leads down to the fuse holders, either replace or clean the "blades" of the fuses and it "should" go away.

Hope this helps - or at least puts your mind at rest.

Regards

G

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Could also be the connector to the starter motor.. may be a tad rusty... give it a good clean.. may cure it.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts