Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm looking at moving to San Diego in the next few months, has anyone ever moved into CA with their modded MX6, and did you face any challenges?

I live in Seattle, have a 2.5" o2 housing, downpipe/exhaust system (cat is new and in place), no exhaust leaks, etc.

What kind of challenges do I face trying to bring my car into the state?

I'm going to see if any local emissions testing facility can test to CA standards to make sure it'll pass, but I'm more worried about the visual inspection portion of it, and the aftermarket equipment I have on there.

Any input/help/advice?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Put everything back to stock.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there's a slight problem with that. Rather, it'll cost me more than I'd like.

When I had the downpipe installed, they welded it to the rest of my system, so I can't just swap it out. That, and I don't even have the stock downpipe anymore (can get one, I know).

But do you think the rest of the 2.5" system from the cat back will be a problem? I had it replaced when the old system was rusted out.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
well maybe the 2.5 from cat back wont be a problem, but mine didnt pass when i had the zebel 02 housing so i had to changed it back to stock bought a new 02 sensor pass :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The o2 housing I can swap back no problem, still have that, but the downpipe is welded in place so that's going to have to stay. If they ask, I'll just tell them that the factory setup had rusted out and needed to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
awww...the joys of visual inspection :lol:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, no sh*t.

Btw, do you want the headlight w or wo the diffuser attached?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Doesn't matter :) I just want the cleanest one you got.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
91GTTurbo said:
The o2 housing I can swap back no problem, still have that, but the downpipe is welded in place so that's going to have to stay. If they ask, I'll just tell them that the factory setup had rusted out and needed to be replaced.
Uhhh, they'll tell you that you need/needed to have that replaced with a factory part. There is no way of getting around it with a legit shop, the fine are just too hefty and most shops are legit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you're saying that even the downpipe and back system won't pass visual inspection? Even with the stock o2 housing back on it?

And if I tell them that that is how the car was when I bought it?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Jason, you can have my factory downpipe :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not that, it's having to have my current one un-welded out of place to have the whole stupid setup put back to stock. I'll still have 2.5 from the dp back to the back of the car.

This is just lame...LOL.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Tell me about it, i need to smog my car also so bone stock again.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait, so every time you have to smog your car you have to put everything back to stock? Wow...

Almost makes me want to go buy a car that's fast w/o having to make mods, LOL.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Yup everything back to stock well atleast i do.

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
91GTTurbo said:
So you're saying that even the downpipe and back system won't pass visual inspection?
Not at a legitimate smog shop. probablynot a shady one either, fines are just too stiff for the shop for cheating. For the offender it can be something like $5,000-$10,000 fine for changign emissions....for the shop something like $25,000+ if the courts want to.

91GTTurbo said:
Even with the stock o2 housing back on it?
Anything from the cat back is fine, cat forward nope.

91GTTurbo said:
And if I tell them that that is how the car was when I bought it?
:lol:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ugh. Ok, so I'm looking at this as an opportunity to re-do my exhaust system the RIGHT way this time. Lesson learned.

Thanks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^^^ meaning?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts