Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to offend anyone especially since I'm new to this board. I just want to know has anybody actually raced on a track in a "imports vs. domestic Shootout"? I see these events advertised every so often on track calanders. I also see alot of guys on this board posting kill stories that sound alittle far-fetched or at best had outside help (like traffic). I know it's possible for a 4 cylinder turbo to beat a V8 muscle car, because I've seen it. But I was wondering how some of you would do at a one-on-one controlled event. Where it's driver & car versus driver & car without worries of a ticket, traffic, or innocent bystanders.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i've had some run in's with this type of drag racing, but it was not intentional. every year therez a triumph rally in PA and we all go to the local dragstrip for one of the days. well, one year some local kids showed up with their mustangs and camaro's and started beating on the little Tr3's and tr4's (4 bangers). so when the wedge heads showed up(tr8 owners) we started putting those boys back in their places. they had obviously never seen a tr8 before and because most of us are heavily modded, they had no idea what hit them. my personal best run of the day was when i pulled along side of a supercharged 5.0, and while i had the top down, a friend in the car, and the radio blaring at top notch, we proceeded to tear him a new A-hole. needless to say they haven't showed up since then.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I never would've know a tr8 even existed if you wouldn't have come on this board.. I think they sound bad as hell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TR8's are pretty cool and pretty rare. I haven't seen one in years but I see the TR6's and TR7's every so often. A friend of mine with a car lot even has a TR7 for sale. I took it for a ride and there's something about a convertible I really like. That's the kind of story I was looking for.

I've had some imports with turbos and the best was a 944T that ran hi 12's (pretty much stock). I beat quite a few muscle cars with that 4 cyl porsche. Now I have a 69 firebird that I'm on the other side of the challenge. It's probably the quickest street legal car I've owned. I've been able to beat quite a few cars with it at the track but I don't race it on the street. It attracts way too much attention. I do bring it out for a cruise on nice weekends and I always have someone who wants to race in a stickered-up riceburner. Since I don't race them I hear them making fun at the next light. But if I challenge them to a race at the track, I get every excuse in the book.

Don't get me wrong, I do have alot of respect for fast imports. I've even gotten my behind kicked by a friend in a geo turbo (runs 10.80's) at the track. I respect that. I just don't respect the attitude of some of the young kids that throw stickers and a coffee can exhaust on a civic and think they have a fast car. They seem to cause alot of accidents street racing because half of them don't know how to drive or have that "I can't get hurt" attitude. Then you read about them in the wrong sections of the newspaper.

Sorry about the lecture in the previous paragraph. Had to vent alittle.

[Edited by geok on 04-09-2001 at 11:56 AM]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts