Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my bro wants to gimme 1000 to spend on my car to make it go better,

whats the first performance mod i should do.
the exhaust or what ...
any ideas ???
thanks guys

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
i wish my brother would give me a grand :cry:
... i'll chip out now.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
turbo back exhaust, and bleed valve (boost controller) and a Cold air intake
that should basically be ur 1k there, maybe $100 -200 or so left over.
to which goes to woos ecu

Reactions: Turbo626

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how much would each of these cost ??

turbo back exhaust -
bleed valve (boost controller) -
Woos ecu -

ive gota CAI already.

also, would i need to get a turbo timer.. ??

·
Registered
456 Posts
ECU see here http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130512

Boost Controller depends on what you choose - the for sale threads have seen them start from around $100 & a few manual ones new around $150 as I recall (mine is N/A so I will be corrected if I am wrong)

Exhaust do a search for "exhaust cost" or "exhaust how much" or simmilar. There have been a few questions very simmilar & so this will give you a good idea as to exact pricing

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
No one "needs" a turbo timer.
You just need to remember not to shut down for a minute or so after boosting.

·
Registered
665 Posts
how long do you cars leave your timers on for?
or sit in teh car for after driving? both whether you've given it a hard time and / or drive to the shops?

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Well, I agree with most above. But I also think you might want to put away a couple of hundred to give your car a good tune. Especially if you haven't done it in awhile.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If I go for a drive without boosting at all (quite common) I only idle it for 10-15 secs before I turn it off...

When I go for a hardish drive, but driving slowly for the last 5-10kms, I usually idle it for 1-2 minutes... If I drive hard and then stop shortly after, I'll idle it for ages. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
i got a turbosmart bleed valve you can have for $50 :)
but i would do
zorst
pod
bleed valve
cai
and change fluids and get a tune up :)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
i can see he already has a CAI and pod in his sig.
u can get boost controller,s the turbosmarts or gfbs are common for under $50 second hand.
exhaust at a rough estimate, turbo back is about 800.
cat back about 500
woos ecu $200

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
First:

ALL fluids.

Oil Flush $15
Good quality oil $35
Oil Filter $10
Gearbox oil. $30
Brake and clutch fluid. $25
Try changing your powersteering fluid too. It'll feel better afterwards. $15

Ignition.

New plugs. Nothing beats the standard replacement one for cold starts, drivability, reliability. $16

New leads. Bosche is good awell priced. Don't forget the one from the coil to the dizzy. $50 for all five

Dizzy cap $7

Rotor arm $5

Cooing System:

System flush $35
Glycol/coolant $25

Braking stuff

New pads $120 for 2 pairs (front and rear)

$390 or there abouts. Your Car will go, stop, steer, run better than it does now. You'll be suprised.

What would I do next?

2.5" cat back exhaust. $350 is the going price round here. SE melb.
Woo's chip $200
Turbotech manual boost controller (These are the [shizzle] when it comes to manual boost controllers) $40 delivered

So all that take you to a grand sum of $980. Plus I would add $90 for a boost gauge.

For around about $1100, you can have a car that you will enjoy driving, as it goes hard, stops, steers, sounds and runs beautifully.

Now go do it and ENJOY :)

If your in Melb, Ilm willing to help you.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
SABBAi said:
First:

ALL fluids.

Oil Flush $15
Good quality oil $35
Oil Filter $10
Gearbox oil. $30
Brake and clutch fluid. $25
Try changing your powersteering fluid too. It'll feel better afterwards. $15

Ignition.

New plugs. Nothing beats the standard replacement one for cold starts, drivability, reliability. $16

New leads. Bosche is good awell priced. Don't forget the one from the coil to the dizzy. $50 for all five

Dizzy cap $7

Rotor arm $5

Cooing System:

System flush $35
Glycol/coolant $25

Braking stuff

New pads $120 for 2 pairs (front and rear)

$390 or there abouts. Your Car will go, stop, steer, run better than it does now. You'll be suprised.

What would I do next?

2.5" cat back exhaust. $350 is the going price round here. SE melb.
Woo's chip $200
Turbotech manual boost controller (These are the [shizzle] when it comes to manual boost controllers) $40 delivered

So all that take you to a grand sum of $980. Plus I would add $90 for a boost gauge.

For around about $1100, you can have a car that you will enjoy driving, as it goes hard, stops, steers, sounds and runs beautifully.

Now go do it and ENJOY :)

If your in Melb, Ilm willing to help you.
id first add a compression test ;) see what state your motor is in before you go making it faster. if its rooted no point doing all this too it ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
GotF2TinGD said:
id first add a compression test ;) see what state your motor is in before you go making it faster. if its rooted no point doing all this too it ;)
but then he can blow the motor and ask for some more cash from his brother to pay for a full rebuild =)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Turbo timers are waste of time. Most modern turbos have coolant flowing through them, only really old coil-cooled turbos need a turbo timer. Idle the car for 30-60 seconds and turn it off, or just drive gently for the last km or so before you get home :)

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
I do agree that a pressure test is worth while. It's something that should be done when buying a car. It gives you a very good indication on on the health of the engine.

There is point to maintaining a car though. Spending the money to get it running well, will pay you back in the long run. $400 or there abouts to get it in a good running condition isn't much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts