Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a used mx-6 (why I joined this forum) with the klde engine. When I went to look at it I noticed a knocking sound which we just assumed was a problem with the lifters. However I was at canadian tire the other day and asked one the guys working in the garage about it. Apparently he used to race mx-6s and he said that this problem wasn't fixable, all of these engine get it eventually and it only gets worse over time. Apparently it has something to do with the engine starving itself for oil so he said you would have to replace the oil delivery system (I assume that only means the oil pump, maybe a few lines) and also the heads would have to be replaced. I can't imagine why they would need to be replaced and didn't get a chance to ask him.

I read the sticky where it mentions how to check engine codes (it's a '94) and I'll do that once I go see the car again I'd rather not waste my time.

Basically I'd just appreciate a second (or third, fourth, fifth , etc.) oppinion on what this knocking sound could be. Sorry I don't have any more details. Also how much money would you say it costs to fix (very important!) if it is even possible. Oh one last piece of information, it was cold outside and apparently the car hadn't been started for a few weeks.

Btw I would usually trust a mechanic's oppinion but it WAS canadian tire and there's just something about the french I just don't trust.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Lol.... the famous ticking or knocking, or whatever sound is the lifters. HLA's. Most mazda V6's have them. They are not deadly or anything. You can live with them. There are things you can do if it annoys you too much.

1. Change oil more often and used synthetic
2. Replace the lifters (not the easiest thing to do)
3. Flush the engine

I am personally thinking about flushing my engine. Not with some crappy "engine flush" bottle you buy. But with diesel oil. I've read up that many people use diesel engine oil because it contains more detergent and dissolves the sludge and crap stuck in the lifters and wherever else.

I also looked at some diesel engine oil the other day and some of them state they can be used for petrol or diesel engines. They even meet the API standards specified for our cars. I think it would be safe to use it, just let the engine idle for about 10-15 minutes, etc.

Some people do it differently. Some fill entirely with diesel and drive many miles (softly though). Some just let it idle. Some half fill with normal oil and half deisel oil.

Some people swear by using kerosene. Some people swear it can wreck your engine. But honestly out of all the reviews I have seen, no one reported their engine getting worse than it already was. Many said the HLA noise quietened down, some said it disappeared completely!

Or you can just live with the noise lol.

Oh it could be your timing belt tensioners too, depends on the sound and if it goes away after a while etc.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The knocking you hear... is it "ticking" or "knocking"

Very different sounds. Ticking would be the HLA's but a knock would be far worse.
A bearing or something like that.

Best take the car to a trusted mechanic and let him check it for you.

If it is just the HLA's, no hassles. There are 100's of threads here that deal with that.

Just be carefull of what you buy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so you're saying that the oil pump (plus whatever else an "oil delivery system" contains) and the heads do not need to be touched? And that adjusting the lifters like we had first assumed would fix the problem along with an engine flush? Also I work at a quick, drive through oil change garage (Lube) so I get a pretty significant discount on any kind of oil, filters and engine flush detergent. Basically I'm saying that money/time is no object when it comes to servicing my oil. So what is the most effective way for me to do this? I've heard of using diesel fuel in place of engine oil. I'm skeptical of this because, although I don't know much about how an oil circulation system works, I'm fairly certain that the oil gets pressurized at least in a few places in the system and pressurized diesel fuel is definitely NOT something I want in my engine. @KLZE 30x (anyone for that matter) any suggestions on how to do this engine flush effectively so that it will kill my problem (and not make new ones) is really appreciated.

@KLZE who said that I could just live with the noise. I probably could so long as it doesn't get worse and doesn't affect performance, will it? But if it is possible to fix than obviously I'd like to try.

btw I think it was a ticking sound but I don't really remember.

What is "HLA"? I assume it's the lifters. Should I be able to get away with simply adjusting them or will have to replace them? How much would it cost in either case?

I'm going to go see it again on friday and take it to a mechanic so any knowledge I can pick up here before then is appreciated.

P.S. Happy new years (I know I'm a bit early) and I hope you all get as hammered as I plan to be.

·
Registered
954 Posts
ok so you're saying that the oil pump (plus whatever else an "oil delivery system" contains) and the heads do not need to be touched? And that adjusting the lifters like we had first assumed would fix the problem along with an engine flush? Also I work at a quick, drive through oil change garage (Lube) so I get a pretty significant discount on any kind of oil, filters and engine flush detergent. Basically I'm saying that money/time is no object when it comes to servicing my oil. So what is the most effective way for me to do this? I've heard of using diesel fuel in place of engine oil. I'm skeptical of this because, although I don't know much about how an oil circulation system works, I'm fairly certain that the oil gets pressurized at least in a few places in the system and pressurized diesel fuel is definitely NOT something I want in my engine. @KLZE 30x (anyone for that matter) any suggestions on how to do this engine flush effectively so that it will kill my problem (and not make new ones) is really appreciated.

@KLZE who said that I could just live with the noise. I probably could so long as it doesn't get worse and doesn't affect performance, will it? But if it is possible to fix than obviously I'd like to try.

btw I think it was a ticking sound but I don't really remember.

What is "HLA"? I assume it's the lifters. Should I be able to get away with simply adjusting them or will have to replace them? How much would it cost in either case?

I'm going to go see it again on friday and take it to a mechanic so any knowledge I can pick up here before then is appreciated.

P.S. Happy new years (I know I'm a bit early) and I hope you all get as hammered as I plan to be.
HLA's are hydraulic lash adjusters, they are the reason we don't have to maintain valve lash every x amount of miles since they use the hydraulic pressure from the oil to adjust themselves. like KLZE said, as long as it's a "tick" and not a "knock" it'll be fine. just keep your oil changed and fresh.

a few miata friends of mine have worse HLA ticks than i do so don't feel so bad lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
does anyone make an electronic oil pump for this engine? that tick bugs the crap out of me. short and sweet id be tickled stink if I could fix the HLA tick. Im assuming buying a new engine with low miles will fix that but i want to prevent it from happening.

im thinking an electric oil pump would do the trick along with synthetic oils? could always change the heads on it with millenia? ill have to do some searching around. i havent even removed the valve covers yet just because this problem is so common. but that doesnt mean one couldnt be tightened down but still better for me to wait for a new one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
you dont use diesel you use kerosene as a flush. next time you go look at the car try to get some video of the noise. the noise is more than likley one of 3 common problems. either hla noise,timng belt tensioner or the friction gear on the cams

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just went and picked up/ paid for the car today. I brought it to the mechanic and apparently I have an exhaust leak in the flex pipe and that's where he thinks the noise is coming from, not the engine. I also need to get the e-brake cable fixed and also replace my front lower ball joints. After I do all of this we'll see if there's still a noise. It's parked in my driveway right now so maybe I'll try and take a video of the engine bay so you can hear it running...tommorrow, if you're familiar with the sound let me know.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
You have been given all the info you need so far. Its not hard to clean the HLA's if you want to just get some desiel gas and take the cams off. Really not bad a days worth of work and you can take car of a lot of common problems:
1) Rear VC Gasket Leaking
2) HLA Tick
3) Inspect your Heads (And clean the intake ports with your favorite carb cleaner and some shop towels
4) Clean your intake manifold, just more carb clean and a match... remove all rubber and plastic first
5) Check your Timing belt and tensioner along the way

All this will settle a lot and if you want you can even do the water pump. Your car will pretty much be set for daily driving for quite some time and very quiet.

Oh and Congrats on the new MX6 and welcome to the boards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts