1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
i've been through a bunch of inexpensive mufflers on everything from a 4 baner paseo to my mx6's, to the jeep...

if by inexpensive you mean not at $$ as borla, greddy, etc... then there's some hope.

if you mean inexpensive as bargain mufflers... don't bother. you'll end up buying 3 different mufflers before you decide to just drop the coin on a better one like you should have done in the first place.

they all sound like shit. that one weighs 9.2 lbs... its a thin gauge metal tin car. don't bother. light weight SS mufflers all sound like ass - they are just an expansion chamber.

you can always go titanium and find a decent muffler thats also light.. but it wont be cheap.

for reference, my aerochamber on the jeep uses all 3 major muffling techniques baffling, expansion, and absorption (glass fill) and creates an incredibly dynamic sound depending on throttle load and engine speed.. but also weighs in at 27lbs. my borla on the 6 is 15 lbs, and thats a pretty basic muffler - still better than a thin gauge tin can expansion chamber.

do yourself the favor and pass on it. look up some of the magnaflow choices, or even small case aerochambers...

a good inexpensive brand that i've used is the thrush series by dynomax... but it'll rust out on you lol. they sound good while the baffles are still intact though. plan on 3 yrs.

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve. The problem is I need mufflers with tips so that I can make some axle backs. What started this whole thing was that I took my axlebacks off in order to trade + cash with another 6er. When I met up with him, his N1 set was beat the fuck up, so I backed out of the deal. But while I was driving around with the exhaust off, I came to like the sound minus some interstate drone and interior resonance. So I started looking into a cheap axle back setup to offset that drone.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
the drone won't go away until you have a thicker gauged metal.

you can get tips... but also small case magnaflows can be had with tips, too.. when i get home i'll link you to some of the places i've shopped, but a regular google can get it too.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
X1 on no muffler :D

I'll show you folks how one sounds this weekend ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts