Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and my friend were talking about push button starts and it got me thinking how hard it would be to do a diy push button start on a 2nd gen. im thinking its not so hard but does anyone know what wires and where they are located exactly and what colors they are? has anyone tried before?

i know its not practicle but just seems fun to try lol.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
actually 1lowmx6 has it on his car that hes parting out. I am still considering doing this myself!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did see that he was selling that in his parting thread but im sure the button and wires are not even 25 bucks plus shipping no offense 1lowmx6, i just figured if i knew what wires to use it would be no problem to diy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Behind your ignition are several wires that have differing functions.

If you turn the vehicle into the "on" position, ie: when the red lights come on, you would need to short out two of the wires to activate the starter. You find which two and attach to a push-button switch of your choosing (provided it is strong enough - I rekon 30 amp, fused??)

I have not done it on my car so dont know the wire colors. Also dont think it prudent to tell everyone either as this amounts to hot-wiring.

Reason I know is I had to make an emergency start on a vehicle thats ignition was done. Trial and error if you dont know which wires exactly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if anyone does know the wire colors maybe a pm would be in order.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm actually getting ready to do some shopping for parts to make my own remote starter. Here's what I got so far (didn't look firsthand yet as i have inspection tomorrow and dont want to mess anything up :jump:):

Black/Blue wire into ignition switch from Ignition Key fuse in main fuse box.
Black/Yellow from Start Pos. eventually to Starter

Black wire from Ignition Key Fuse to Ignition Switch
Black/White from On/Start Pos.s to (eventually) Alternator

Got those from the Haynes manual pgs 12-23 and 12-24. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts