Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not.

I can install new springs in about an hour. Coilovers take longer because of the strut modification involved. I think it took about 4 hours with a friend to pull that one off the first time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of tools do I need? I'm pretty good at doing some work... think it can be done in an afternoon?

·
Registered
446 Posts
It can definitely be done in an afternoon. You'll need a jack, jack stands, spring compressor (to remove stock springs and possibly to install new ones), sockets (14mm, I think). If you're installing coilovers, you'll need to add a grinder to that list and a few hours to your install time; still an afternoon job though.

With the exception of the spring compressor, all of these tools are "household", meaning everyone should have them. As for the spring compressor, I was able to leave a $20 deposit at a tool rental shop, use the compressor for a day, return it and redeem my $20.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Few hours to the install time if you have to grind?? :confused: :confused: what did you guys do go take a nap between each strut. it took my buddy 10min on each, IF that! to grind the piece down. you dont need a spring compressor to get the springs off just an impact gun and take the entire strut mount off when you remove the strut and then run the nut off, but youdont even have to take the strut mount off, i didnot with my Intrax and they came off easy.

Keep you old sturts if you put on anything new ones,. you never know when youmight need then again.

·
Registered
446 Posts
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAW Superfly, the greasy motorhead is out to wrecklessly tear through the project without regard to safety or common sense!

Paint, primer, or use some anti-rust agent onto the bare metal after grinding to prevent eventual damage to the strut body. Please use a spring compressor when removing the factory springs or leave the job to Superfly or someone else who doesn't mind the risk of a lost eye. Take your time and do it right. A couple hours out of your day to lower your car right is worth the time.

Nothing personal.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
haha, yea ok, that is why they are on the car and everything is great with them and no one got hurt. if you have a bench grider then it will take a lots less time.

whatever!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
well dont point the spring toward you or anyone else and use a air gun and turn the nut off the strut off and the spring will hardly move if you have it on the ground. i have Intraxs on mine and nothing wanted if you have stocker then nothing should happend with them either because they dont lower the car so. I did not take the strut mounts off when i did mine. there was no reason to do so when me and my buddy did it.

see the thing about it is that if you dont remove the strut mount or even it you do put the strut mount back on and but the strut and spring on the car with the 2 bolts at the bottom and let the weight of the car lower it back down and then put the nut on the top of the strut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts