Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Few days ago I had a shop install headers in my car. Now I noticed that when I have my foot on the gas pedal the Engine light will appear after about 7min. then if I release my foot off the gas really quick and then accelerate again it will shut off. So basically it comes every now and then will I have my foot on the gas pedal. Any suggestion's on why this is happening? Thanks much!!

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
Under the engine bay by the drivers side strut mount you'll see two plastic connectors, one 2/3 wire and a single wire. Plug a wire into that single connector and connect the other end to the ground on the battery. The codes should flash on the dash, just count them and compare them to the list we have somewhere.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
Someone probably has a link for how to pull your codes, I don't have one handy though. :(
Lets stop telling him to pull codes and someone give him a link.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
my guess is its the EGR. I know that when I was putting on my headers on i noticed that the EGR inlet on the headers was a little bit off and my dad and I had to bend the inlet upwords. Mabey the guys who installed your headers faught the EGR tube to much and fucked it up

Reactions: jhox21

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I've seen many a Paceshltter header installed on LX/DX's and most of them have problmes in one way or another. One big thing besides the fittment: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33822 is the EGR tube not seating correctly. Todd (anomaly) welded his tube to the header as a cure. Others have welded a new bung or just drive with the CEL light on and fail smog tests.

You can almost bet that the code you're getting is for the EGR valve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The EGR was kind of short I just has some guy Weld it so that it will not leak.

I did the read the code with the way you guys told me to, it flashed 8 times so does that mean its the Vane airflow signal? If so, how would I go about fixing that problem and where is it located? Again, thanks much for all help that is provided.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
VAF meter is the thing connected to the airbox, I think it even says "airflow meter" on it.

However, I think you should check your intake air piping, I believe that can cause intermittent VAF malfunction codes like you're seeing. Have you replaced the throttle body boot yet? (Big black rubber hose between VAF meter and throttle body). Check the TB boot as well as the black plastic box beneath it for cracks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I wanna say that it meens your VAF. I may be wrong, which I think I am but if I'm right than go out and replace the VAF. You can get them mad cheap

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup, I replaced the throttle body boot not to long ago, maybe a year ago. And I removed the black plastic box(O.G Filter) with a K&N type of filter. Do you think I should go to my local Mechanic and have them do a diagnostic check and tell me with the problem is? Thanks!!

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Rickdogg1 said:
Do you think I should go to my local Mechanic and have them do a diagnostic check and tell me with the problem is?
No. If you've pulled the codes and gotten code 8, make sure the vaf is plugged in all the way. Your next move is to get a multimeter and measure resistance acrossed the terminals. Or you could bypass all of this and go to your local junkyard for another vaf meter, or buy one from someone here (your best choice)

Your mechanic isn't going to tell you anything new besides that you need to replace one or more parts and rip you off for something that you could get for 99% cheaper elsewhere.

Where do you live in Ca anyways?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright Cool, I will do the things that you suggest for me to do tonight and in the morning I will drive it when I go to work and see id Im having the same problem.

I live in SGV near Covina, West Covina, Glendora. Basically I live in LA County

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Its the EGR. My car does this also, have my EGR disconnected.
If Im just crusing around, light on the gas my CEL comes on. If I let off it goes away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts