Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question...

I bought a brand new Avital 6500 Keyless Entry/Anti Theft system for my MX-6 (93 LS Automatic). Where can I take it too to have the system installed properly without paying alot? Any suggestions or will I have to look around locally?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am getting that same alarm / remote start for x-mass. I believe we are going to start installing it tomorrow or so. There may be a lot of wires but you could do it yourself. Just know that it will take 4-8 hours to do :) How much did you get yours for? It is a discontinued item (last years alarm).

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
4-8 hours???? yeah maybe for the first timer. its probably not gonna be too hard to do as long as you can understand instructions. (connect this wire here, make sure you do this, etc.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
How'd the installs go?

I'm considering the same system, so I was wondering if you guys have installed yours yet and are you happy with it? Does this system include all the relays you need for the keyless entry/starter kill/dome light etc? Also, how long did the install take you?

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you have a US spec MX-6 you will need to add an actuator to the driver's door for the keyless entry to work. Only the passenger's door has a door lock motor in it the driver's is just a trigger for it. Aside for that the alarm has everything else you will need.

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just get the two wire door lock actuator you don't need the 5-wire, it's only used if you want to wire a door lock switch directly in with the motor. The trunk release kit will work fine it's the same one you'll get every where and has worked well in my car for years.
:)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I finished installing mine! :) It was surprisingly easy. It wasn't hard to find the wires that I needed to connect. I didn't once look at the cars wiring diagram. It did take along time though. With it being 30 or so degrees in my garage, I didn't work very fast. I did it in two days spending about a total of 8 or so hours. That is including breaks for food and such. One reason that it took that long is that I had to install an auto up and down window module, trunk solenoid, and driver’s side door lock motor. The unit came with all the relays built in. I did however use a relay for the truck solenoid because it draws a LOT of current.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to go ahead and order the same system for myself. They're going for only $80 or so on ebay right now.

Kenny, I'm curious how the auto window modules function. Do they just make the windows automatically go up when you arm the system? Can you controll them independantly with the remote?

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is separate from the alarm. Here is where I got it: http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=WC1000 The only think that sucks is it is only for one window. It has two wires that can be hooked up to the alarm. It doesn't do anything when I arm the system. I am pretty sure that you can set it up to do that if you wanted. I have it setup if you press the arm and silent button at the same time it will auto up the window. And if you press the silent and start button at the same time the window will auto down. From the window switch in the car: If you press one of the window buttons the window will start going by itself. To stop it you have to press the button again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A FEW QUESTIONS?

Hey guys, I'm going to install this thing Friday the 19th, I should be getting the power door lock motor any day now...
First, what tools will I need to have to install the Avital 6500?
Second, can I get any tips on how to install the power door lock motor?
Third, I was told this can be done on a 93 MX-6 LS Mistere MTX, will I encounter any problems with this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've installed the remote start part of my alarm system in my '93 MTX, and I plan on doing the lock install as soon as I get the parts. I've found some excellent power lock install directions with many pictures at http://www.miata.net/garage/elect.html . These are for MX5 doors, but I don't think the install should be too much different on the MX6.
You shouldn't encounter any problems intalling the remote start. I suggest you read through the threds in this forum about remote start installs, since you will need to bypass the clutch sensor switch and use the neutral wire if you want to be safe and prevent starts when you car is in gear. As far as tools, you should have screwdrivers, wire stripper, multimeter, soldering iron, tape or heat shrink tubing, etc...

[Edited by Mike 93LS on 01-16-2001 at 02:51 PM]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts