Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got my INTRAX springs today! However, i was wondering 2 things. For anyone that has them, you would have gotten an orange page that shows the car, and then explains that if the car IS listed, you have to trim the "Bump Stops". Now when I read what it says on the page from Left To Right, it Follows:
MODEL: MAZDA MX-6/626, 4Cyl,93-97
FROUNT: .75"
REAR: .50

Now is that what I have to trim off the bump stop???? I know that on the box it says it'll low the car 1.75"-2" frount and back,
ALSO: What the hell is a Bump Stop and where do I find it on the car?? Thanks SOOOOO Much,

·
Registered
488 Posts
Once you have the strut assembly off the car you will be able to see the bump stops. They are little foam things at teh top of the strut, just below the upper spring perch that keep the strut from bottoming out in extreme suspension travel. You'll need to pull them off when you change the springs and just use a knife or saw to cut off the recommended amount.
On another note if you are going to use these springs withtstock struts be prepared to replace the struts really soon. It going to put a lot more stress on teh struts and wear them down quickly. You might want to think about changing the atruts at the same time so you don't have to do this all over again in a few months.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Greg S said:
On another note if you are going to use these springs withtstock struts be prepared to replace the struts really soon. It going to put a lot more stress on teh struts and wear them down quickly.
Greg Is this the same regardless of what springs you fit?
I am just about to put some eibach springs on mine and they will lower the car 30mm. Will the struts still need replacing ?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

hey, thanks alot for the info Greg! Totally Appreciated! What kind of Struts would you recommend I get? And how much do you think they would cost? Thanks alot!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
mx6-uk,
With the eibach the struts won't wear as quickly but they will wear significantly faster than with the stock springs. I mostly depends on how waorn the struts are to start with. Usually if the car has over 50,000 miles it would be a good idea to change them out.

JDean55,
For struts I would recommend the Tokico Illuminas, I've got them with my Intrax and the adjustable valve system makes it real nice when switching from the street to the strip to the track. But if you are just going to use the car as a daily driver and not going to hit the strip or auto-x track much you can easily bet away with the normal Tokicos or KYBs. The Illuminas are approx $120 each, I think the standard Tokicos are aroung $65 each and the KYB I've heard can be found for $55 each with a little searching.

G

·
Where are you getting Illuminas for $120? That's how much the non-adjustable Tokicos normally cost. I have KYB gas struts that I paid $62 each for and I'm satisfied with them.

I wouldn't recommend the Intrax springs at all though. They don't ride smooth at all and still roll a LOT in the corners. The car understeers a lot more now with them on. Also the spring rate is soft enough that the car bottoms out on even moderate bumps, you can hardly corner without it bottoming out on a small bump. I cut my bump stops more than the manual said and they STILL bottom out all the time. I just ordered some Ground Control coil-overs which will solve all of these problems. I would recommend either getting the Ground Controls or the Eibach, because Intrax is NOT worth the money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Idn't mean to sound rude but, first you said the Intrax don't ride smooth at all, then you said the spring rate is soft enough so the car bottoms out. If it soft enough to bottom out it can't ride too rough. If you are putting the ground controls on your 6 which will lower it even more, you must not be worried about how rough the ride is. I've got Intrax on my 96 626, which is the same springs for 93-97 probes and MX6 and my car doesn't ride rough at all and it doesn't bottom out all of time either, but I had a friend with the ground controls on his 93 probe and it rode like a tank. It handled good, but a little ride quality had to be sacrificed.
Think about this, I watch alot of racing. whether it be Touring or SCCA, do you think those cars that are lowered to the ground ride good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts