Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My instrument cluster light is getting really low, the rest of the interior lights are fine, radio and climate are O.K. It´s getting so Dim I can´t read It very well at night, and I guess those are the original bulbs, so I don’t know if the dimmer switch is dying on me, or the bulbs are way too old.
I searched and It looks like the dimmer switch does die slowly but wouldn’t it affect all the lights in the climate control ,the radio and all the rest?

Thanks in Advance for any thoughts on this one.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Have you checked your battery voltage at idle (should be 13.5-14.7 V) ? I'm suspecting a slowly wearing out alternator. I know that the first thing I noticed when my old alternator was going was the gauge cluster lights getting dim.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fuse sounds really possible, I havent thought of it, I´ll check my voltage output tomorrow along with fuses-although I´m using a probe alternator, which is a bit more powerfull than the mx6 one- but since it´s so cheap, I´ll change my bulbs for some fresh ones too :D

Thanks a lot pals :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would say the fuse is possible. I think maybe if you blew the fuse and it did'nt blow properly it could blow and then re-short itself out. I ran into this before at my old job. A fuse blew but it was still allowing power through, just not the proper amount of amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts