Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again

Ive just had a quick look around on the net for comprehensive insurance for a gen2 mx6(I haven't bought the car yet).

Companies like nrma and AAMI seem to charge like wounded bulls! (I am 22 yrs old and male)

So I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good insurance companies that charge a reasonable rate for guys like me.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ODIN - check out the recent 'Timing Belt' thread as we ended up talking about insurance costs. If you're in Vic then it sounds like RACV are worth a try..I can't help as I'm with AAMI (I am 25 and female so they were reasonable for me).

BTW Good luck with the search for a 6 - I drove down from Canberra to Melbourne 2 weekends ago to buy my car from Brighton Mazda - it was worth it :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
6girl said:
ODIN - check out the recent 'Timing Belt' thread as we ended up talking about insurance costs. If you're in Vic then it sounds like RACV are worth a try..I can't help as I'm with AAMI (I am 25 and female so they were reasonable for me).

BTW Good luck with the search for a 6 - I drove down from Canberra to Melbourne 2 weekends ago to buy my car from Brighton Mazda - it was worth it :)
Hey I also got my vehicle from brighton Mazda...

Also your gonna find its gonna get very very costly for insurance and your 2nd gen mx6 because of your age...

Most insurance companies will not insure anyone under 25 with an mx6....good luck !! :)

G

·
Why not try getting the car insured under a parent and having your name as a secondary driver... my '96 mx6 is set up that way - i am 23 - and it only costs about $800...

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
optical said:
Why not try getting the car insured under a parent and having your name as a secondary driver... my '96 mx6 is set up that way - i am 23 - and it only costs about $800...
optical does this They(parents) need to own the car legally or can the car be legally mine? only insured under them?

any info appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
it depends on insurer but i'd say go with your parrents beeing the legall owners and later on you can swap it to your name. just my oppinion ;)

G

·
yeah you have to get it registered under your parent's name, prolly your mum coz females have cheaper insurance (dunno why - i know more chicks who have crashed their car then guys... :)

it's no hassle though... the insurance company just has to believe it's hers.... whereas, as long as your parents know it's YOUR car and don't give you any trouble then there's no probs..!

note that your insurance down the track may take longer to acheive a better rating as when you are a secondary driver, you are not classed as having your own personal insurance and get no rating yet.....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey Optical....

Which insurer was that?

I'm over 30 with full rating 1 and am being quoted $1600.
(Maybe it's because of my surname! LOL).

G

·
Just renewed to insurance on my Probe for higher value & $200.00 less than last year with ANZ (Sun Alliance). Total including GST A$910.00. Was the best deal I could find.

G

·
GIO I think... i ain't gonna bother changing the car back into my name... will just wait till I get my next car in a few years... anyone know what insurance is like on an s2000? :)

ricdanger: you should be able to get a better deal then that... i was quoted around that much, maybe a bit more if i got a non-turbo supra (under the old womans name of course!)

·
Registered
672 Posts
GIO no longer insures 2nd Gen MX6 vehicles

Im insuerd for under $950 a year with RACV but you need to be 25+ to be insured.

·
Registered
672 Posts
optical said:
>>GIO no longer insures 2nd Gen MX6 vehicles

is that right? i'll check that and let you know.
Yea when i contacted GIO to insure the MX6 in December they said to me as soon as i mentioned what car i had that they no longer insure MX6 vehicles...

Im cursing because Ide understand if they said it had something to do with age, or driving offenses but they didnt even ask for any details first thing they asked was what car do you have... And it was all over...

Go figure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
FAI aren't too bad and they don't mind wider wheels.

You have to be careful e.g. NRMA only go to 7" width on 2nd gen V6.

Sounds fussy but if you had a major prang they'd void the insurance.

P.S Do you wanna buy mine?

6/97 (last run) compliance. First on road 6/98

Silver/Black leather and all usual 4WS options.

Tints (bonnet protector and rear visor - not on at present)

16" Anteras/near new 225/45 Falkens (plus boxed original wheels)

s/s exhaust (plus original)

65000K. All log booked by Mazda.

$30000

·
Registered
886 Posts
Why are you selling yours 4WSB ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm getting a Company car allowance and claiming 95% of tax back on the depreciation (22.5% p.a.) and interest on the loan etc etc. So now its 3 years old this claim gets lower and lower as time passes, so it makes sense to update dollar wise.
BTW it wouldn't take much to convince me to keep it, savings or not!, this is my second 6 on the trot.

I was thinking maybe used non-quatro TT coupe.
What do you reckon?
4wsb (Steve)

Losiho said:
Why are you selling yours 4WSB ?

·
Registered
886 Posts
UUUGGGHH ! I don't want to offend you or TT owners, but I think that has to be the ugliest, most over-rated car on the market ! Surely there are other cars you are considering in the 80K range ? :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts