Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a stock 93 ls and am looking to do some performance mods...i thought i would start with exhaust and intake first. i pretty much know about the exhaust i want to get, but im pretty much clueless as to what intake i should be looking at. Ive been told that to put a cool air system into a v6 LS is difficult, is there any truth to this? Is there something else that would increase my power other than cool air? or anything else i should be lookin at?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
HotShot or PRM CAI intakes or a home maid one. do a search. and you will find enough info to read for the next 2 days about intakes, please believe!!!!!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I heard the PRM intakes are really good..

however they don't look that good

ITG makes good filters too

·
Registered
480 Posts
to make things a bit easier
yes, I have 93 LS too...is urs an auto or mtx?
if it's mtx, it shouldn't be too bad, but I have an auto, so it took some $ and time for very moody intake mod.

Good luck though!:D

·
Registered
511 Posts
after reading about HD intakes, i decided to change the piping on mine. first off what i had was a Ractive heat shield filter on the MAF, then a 4" to 3" adapter then some 4" aliminum dryer hose going down to the hole in the splash guard and angled forward. this system was better than stock and sounded great.
i wanted less heat transfer so i went ahead and made a 3" ABS system. from the 4 to 3 adapter i have a 90* bend then 7" of pipe and then a 45* bend angling the end to scoop up some air. everything fit great and looks nicely. both systems have wire mesh over the intake hole to keep out leaves and stuff as i did collect some before putting the mesh on.
first thing i notice while driving is that the intake is WAY quieter. i used to hear it over the exhaust until about 4k, now all i hear is the exhaust. i didn't notice any increase or decrease, which dissapointed me. i was hoping for colder air from less heat transfer, air coming in faster as the piping decreased from 4" to 3", and the ABS is smooth inside while the dryer hose was ribbed for her pleasure.

oh well, i'm gonna drive with it like this for a while and see how i like it. i can always change it back.

·
Registered
511 Posts
how am i sucking in hot air if i have the same set up as a PRM but it goes down even lower? :wtf:

my opening is less than 1" from the hole in the splashguard with angle pointing forward. and the rest of the system is sealed, thats the only air coming in.

i just changed from the 4" aluminum dryer venting to 3" ABS piping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hotshots CIA...

What's up fellas. I haven't posted in a while. I've been having issues with my computer, so I haven't been to the site. Anyways, in regards to CIA's, I'm getting my Hotshots intake this weekend (finally after 2 months of waiting). It took a while because my homeboy who owns a shop had to order it from Hotshots themselves. It cost me 170 with free install. I've got an ATX, so it took a little longer than the MTX would have taken. I also bought and AEM bi-pass valve. My cousin recently got a digital cam, so as soon as I have everything in, I'll post the pics. Good luck with the intake hunt, I'll also let you know how the performance is on it.

Drex

·
Registered
48 Posts
prm fo sho

I hear alot of people like the PRM Intake. I prefer it over the Hotshot due to the rain problem!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yeh.. those prm intakes are made in canada too :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
unfortunately, even the prm will suck in water in a deep puddle just like a hot shot. One guy at probe talk managed to suck water into his motor with the prm. Here is a link that will show you how to make your own prm intake. http://www.mtco.com/~westcj/Brian/k&n.htm

If you want info on how to make your own hot shot intake, check out my link on my sig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts