Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much difference is the intake of our cars compared to the J=spec engines (Im talking about the V-6's ) Are they that much different as far as performance? The reason i ask i am replacing my engine and i noticed the intakes were different while at my mechanics shop. He says the engine came from Japan it is a low mileage engine. Im thinking i got a J-SPec Engine just by chance ( i needed a motor so he ordered one i didnt ask for a J-spec engine) But he said the intake manifolds are different so he is goin to use the IM off my old engine on the new one. Would this cause any difference performance wise...or is there that big of difference between the IM's I would appreciate any help because im kinda of gitty thinking i got a J-spec engine by chance:E

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Yea its a pretty big difference with performance since with the jspec manifold since you'll gain more (larger runners and different design), but the VRIS points are different. You'll need a chip to have the correct points. also the ZE manifold doesn't have egr, so you'll need to tap it for emissions (if your state requires it). If you put the KLDE(03) manifold on the ze, you'll lose hp.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Look at the KLZE FAQ on top of this page. It has info to identify if it is a ZE or not.

Best way that I know of is to check the markings on the cams, but I forgot what it should read.

The other way is to check out the IM itself. When he removes the IM, look at the bottom of it where it mates to the head ti see if they are square or circular. The USIM is circular, almost oval shaped while the ZE has a rectangular profile. If both the head and the IM has the same marking than you can be pretty sure that you have a ZE.

You can also unscrew the spark plugs and shine a bright light in there. The pistons tops should be different than the o3.

Again read the ZE faq on particulars as it has all of the things I said above to identify an engine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THats the intake i have the one on the left. My mechanic said it didint fit right so he was using my old one thats when i started thinking and came here. How much power you think ill lose..Isnt a majority of the difference in these engines is the internal parts?? Will having the US spec IM on a KLZE engine give me any problems in driveability...I should still noticed a difference in power between the new and the old engine? Also the JSPEC engines are rated at 200HP ? so i could lose about 10-15hp maybe

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SORRY i meant the K8 in the pic what is that from? how many different manifolds am im looking at and where do they go ? I know the US SPEC is Kl03 and the J-SPec is ze what is KF and K8??

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whats the KLD for then? so there is a Kl03, K8, KLZE, KLD I checked again today and it looks like a KLZE....WHat manifold came in the Eunos 800 ( AKA Millenia ) also there is no curve where the intake meets the throttle it is straight

1 - 12 of 12 Posts