Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering putting an aftermarket intake system on my car, but I'm trying to decide which one I should do. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

(1) Hotshot CAI System
(2) K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit
(3) K&N Cone Filter

Here are my concerns:

First, with a CAI system, is it true that you can seriously damage your engine if water/snow splashes onto the filter? I've heard people mention this before and I wasn't certain. I live in an area that has quite a bit of rain--enough that it'd be a pain in the ass to have to remove the CAI every time i wanted to drive my car in the rain.

Second, I'm not very familiar with a Fuel Injection Performance Kit. Would you receive a noticable performance difference than if you went with just the filter?

I'm sure that the simplest method would be the Filter. What are your opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The simplest is not always the best..... With simply the filter, you will get a noticable difference, but overall fairly minimal gains.... like 2 or 3 whp over stock....... I know becuase I have this ... The best intake of the ones you mentioned was the Hotshot. A lot of people on here swear by that thing. If you are concerned with water intake, look at PRM at prmracing.com as they offer intakes that protect really well against water ingestion.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intakes

Thanks miker, the CAI at PRM Racing has definately become an option. Does anyone know much about the Fuel Injection Kit?? If it offers performance between that of the CAI and just the filter, maybe I'll go with that, since I wouldn't have to worry about water consumption.

Also, how easy is it to get moisture in a CAI system? My car is my daily driver and I definately don't want to have to not drive just because its raining. If the PRM Racing CAI is 99% certain of not getting water in the intake, I may go with that one. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
miker

actually having the conical on your vaf will reduce your hp by as much as 6 whp because you are sucking in hot air. Also, even the prm will suck in water if you go through a deep puddle. To avoid sucking in water, just raise your filter further up your hose/ pipe so it is placed above the splash guard to prevent water injestion.

·
Registered
511 Posts
make your own prm-stlye. go to probetalk.com and follow the directions. works decently with a ractive filter and piping going down. i'd explain now, but its time to leave work:D

okay heres what i posted at probetalk:

after reading about HD intakes, i decided to change the piping on mine. first off what i had was a Ractive heat shield filter on the MAF, then a 4" to 3" adapter then some 4" aliminum dryer hose going down to the hole in the splash guard and angled forward. this system was better than stock and sounded great.
i wanted less heat transfer so i went ahead and made a 3" ABS system. from the 4 to 3 adapter i have a 90* bend then 7" of pipe and then a 45* bend angling the end to scoop up some air. everything fit great and looks nicely. both systems have wire mesh over the intake hole to keep out leaves and stuff as i did collect some before putting the mesh on.
first thing i notice while driving is that the intake is WAY quieter. i used to hear it over the exhaust until about 4k, now all i hear is the exhaust. i didn't notice any increase or decrease, which dissapointed me. i was hoping for colder air from less heat transfer, air coming in faster as the piping decreased from 4" to 3", and the ABS is smooth inside while the dryer hose was ribbed for her pleasure.

oh well, i'm gonna drive with it like this for a while and see how i like it. i can always change it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts