Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i looked in the haynes manual it says the free length of the valvesprings is different for intake and exhaust. but when i called mazda they said both have the same part number. Basically my question is can i use the exhaust valve springs/retainers from my spare ZE heads and use them as intake springs on my Working ZE? i know interprep makes better springs for cheap but i need these things ASAP

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Well i dont have my haynes to hand, but the mazda workshop manual states they are the same free length of 46.92 mm 1.847 in and the psrt number for the springs is KL01-12-125A ..

But as all these figures etc relate to a DE, then its irrelevant. Now i think you will find the exhaust springs on a ze are narrower than the inlet due to the valve springs on the inlet being bigger, as you will notice by the difference in size of the HLA's.. the inlet HLA's are bigger.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know these are for a DE, but i want to swap my ZE to the DE valvesprings/retainers. I ran into the problem many ZEs have of breaking a retainer. but thanks for you response

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
mate Exhaust-inlet springs are different circumferences.. the length may well be the same but the HLAs and springs/retainers are NOT the same diameter ..
aftermarket Ferria turbo steel or whatever they are called, are both the smaller diameter ones
cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes you can use your ZE exhaust springs, retainers and collets for the intake side as they are the same as KLDEs 24 springs. These also have higher pressure helping reduce valve float, though not as significantly as interprep or ferrea. You simply use the same valve and HLA that was already there. When you buy interprep you get 24 DE size springs with kl03 retainers and collets. The smaller circumference of the spring/retainer/collet is not an issue.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx a ton to all that replied, really put my mind at ease a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts