Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which intake should I buy for my money and performance?

HKS $132
Hotshot $142
PRM $179

·
Registered
160 Posts
hotshot

im going to purchase that ASAP. I heard so many good things about hotshot. Plus it is pure cold air induction instead of hot air. BUT if you live where there's lots of rain, get PRM. However, hotshot in my opinion is still made for quality and performance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's really a matter of preference. The hotshot may give a tad bit more power (not much since neither will give you more than 5 hp, probably more like 3). The PRM is slightly safer from water ingestion since the filter stays enclosed up by the VAF. I built my own intake, but if I were going to buy one, I would probably get the PRM and build an extension on it to make it face forward under the car for the ram effect.

·
Registered
148 Posts
neither

Well just yesterday I hooked up a thermocoupler into my intake right before the TB. The ambient temp was 92F and during my drive home hit a peak Temp of about 150F and this set up was just a K&N filter slapped on the end of the MAF. That to me seems very HOT when one could use the hotshot and get cooler air right into the engine... personally I'm making a ram-air CAI that scoops air from the bottom front (HVAC duct parts) cramming it into a 3" metal flex tube up into a 6"dia end-cap tube which the K&N is inside and then to the engine. I won't have as much a problem about water injestion plus I'll have that ram-air effect... the scoop is huge compared to the 3" duct work. I'll soon have a boost gauge and will be able to see what it really does at 80mph vs stock. But if I was not to do this and saw the temp readings from yesterday, I'd have defintely bought the hotshot. I used Brian's page as a reference however used different parts http://www.mtco.com/~westcj/Brian/k&n.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Custom Intake

Does the Custom Intake provide good sound and performance?

·
Registered
99 Posts
whats are vris valves

I just added a CAI and i hear the cool sucking at idle. It's really loud. And now when i floor it , sounds cool in 1st and 2nd the most, i heard a sound that sounds more like an exhaust than a sucking. Is that rumble the vris valves?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: whats are vris valves

Burningcrap said:
i heard a sound that sounds more like an exhaust than a sucking. Is that rumble the vris valves?
thats intake honk. its a real problem with hondas... im glad mine doesnt sound like that...

dont tell me its a V6 characteristic...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just lettin you know you can get the HKS at Options Auto Gallery for 110 or so right now on sale, last I checked...... and I heard the HKS has the best HP gains out of those intakes you listed. Not sure, havent tested it myself........

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry thats Options Auto Salon..... stupid name so i guess i forgot it..... meh. Just look it up on any search engine..... Huge site..... not too much for our cars..... Honda lovers............. boo........ meh check it out.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
MX-6 BOY jr said:
the HKS actually will reduce your hp by 1-6 hp because it sucks in hot air.
6?!?!?! thats a lot of power to be lost... is it really that much?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You can get the HKS filter by itself for like $15-$20 and the 3" Mighty Flow ducting from AutoZone for $12. The HKS filter can be disassembled and cleaned with K&N Filter Cleaner.

You'll gain maybe 1-2hp without CAI, and 5-6 with CAI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts