Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get an intake for my car, but I don't know the first thing about intakes...:D I just know that I don't want to waste my money on an exhaust Manchester cops are gunna be crackin down on them starting next year, so I want a loud but nice sounding intake, without spending a ton of money. So if anyone can help me out and maybe suggest what kind I should get and where around here I should go for it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
First questionL

Is it an ATX or an MTX? (auto or manual?)

If it is an ATX than your in dire straits, you have only one choice (hotshot) and it is very expensive.

If it is an MTX than your in much better luck. You can make your own CAI from a Prelude intake or you can buy one premade on eBay.

And it makes a big difference if it is a true CAI (Cold Air Intake) or if it's just some filter slap on the end of the VAF. Alot of people have a misconception of what an intake should be. A WAI (only filter, or filter with any piping below 12 inches) will hurt performance, dynoed results have shown loss in power when the engine is fully warmed up and all your sucking in is hot underhood air. A true CAi should put the filter behind the radiator and fan on top of the splash guard next to the MTX tranny.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Not sure what you meant by that question.

If you meant what year Mx6, they are all the same (the 2nd gen LS MTX) when it comes to the CAI. If you meant which year Prelude 97+.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts