Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you all have been around the import performance seen a while, and suscribe to magazines, there is an old issue of Sport Compact Car, they did a project. A 1997 Probe Gt, when they added several intakes there was a lost of 10 hp, finally realizing that a there was a kink in the tube, there is an air restriction that you cannot remove, because the fuel injection is also controlled from this. It is cone shaped, and the tip is pushed in for air to flow through it. Even when pushed back the furthest, there is still not enough air, for those of you with intakes, or those of you planning to add an intake, i would recommend getting an Apexi S-AFC so it can work with the sensor, and will not block the air mass. I will be getting that before i plan on getting an intake.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Sincere said:
If you all have been around the import performance seen a while, and suscribe to magazines, there is an old issue of Sport Compact Car, they did a project. A 1997 Probe Gt, when they added several intakes there was a lost of 10 hp, finally realizing that a there was a kink in the tube, there is an air restriction that you cannot remove, because the fuel injection is also controlled from this. It is cone shaped, and the tip is pushed in for air to flow through it. Even when pushed back the furthest, there is still not enough air, for those of you with intakes, or those of you planning to add an intake, i would recommend getting an Apexi S-AFC so it can work with the sensor, and will not block the air mass. I will be getting that before i plan on getting an intake.
Or you can do what I did. See my site and go to my MAF conversion page.

On a stock or close-to-stock PGT/MX6, the VAF isn't as big a restriction as one might expect from looking at it. Still, it was worth in the neighborhood of 8HP on my car with only a HS intake and Greddy exhaust. I suspect that with my fairly recently bored throttle body (to 65mm) and, if I could convince the wife, headers, the gains might be more than if the car still had the VAF.

If you plan on more upgrades to the car later (ported manifold, head work, cams possibly etc), getting rid of the VAF is one of the first things to do, for sure. For a stock engine beyond the throttle body, this mods merits are cost/benefit sensitive.

My 2c

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also take in to account that the test car SCC used was a 97 which it turns out doesn't have the pre-cats on the headers even thought hey look like they are there, they were hollow from the factory. That particular car had way more power stock than most Probes do. I've seen it on the dyno and it had abnormally high numbers compared to the other members in our car club. On every other Probe and MX-6 in our club adding an aftermarket or home made intake added hp. Joe's was the only one that didn't. Since Joe sold the car to one of our other members we have removed some of the pieces they out on and used products known to increase power on the KL motored cars and they have been a little more sucsessful, but the base line is still a lot higher than everyone elses car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts