Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know that accordian looking flexible exhaust piping you can get at any local auto parts store? The galvanized stuff that sells for like $6 for an 8' length?

How do you guys think that stuff would work for replacement of our stock rubber intercooler piping? I would think that it would all together eliminate expansion under boost.

I think too that with the lengths we'd need, the proper painting/rustproofing could be accomplished fairly effectively both inside and out.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree that it would eliminate the flex that you get from the rubber, but, it's not smooth on the inside. It's gonna make your airflow more turbulent, and I'm not sure that that's a good thing.
Wouldn't hurt to try though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to agree with Texas on that. You would want the air to flow freely. I would use pipes that are smooth.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ya good thought but I wouldn't bother. The faster the air can move the more boost you're going to get, leave the smooth stuff in. If you seriously want to upgrade get a bigger diameter pipe, then you might be able to do the painting you wanted in and out and it'll also move more air for you.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah HKS dose make it for our cars, I bought mine for $320. Someone on Probetalk is making custom piping, sorry but I forgot his name, he just opened a shop.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I was looking into getting some of the HKS pipes. I wanted to get them before they discontinue them. :(

Where did you get yours from?

·
Registered
28 Posts
his name is matt89gl something like that. Its Kamikazi engineering. They are also working on a downpipe. Charles from probetalk is also working on IC pipes

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Turbobink - I just started working on the same thing. I'm no flow engineer so I don't know if it'll work but my reasoning is the larger diameter will more than offset any turbulence created by the internal ridges. I've got a length of 2 1/8" flex pipe that I'm going to use to replace the 1.75"(?) rigid pipe of the i/c to t/b line first. The flex pipe's interior diameter doesn't change when it's bent, so it acts like a mandrel bend. I figure it's worth a shot anyway. If it doesn't work I'm only out a couple of bucks. Experiments=fun (and maybe more cheap power) Just got to figure out some couplings now. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Using rigid tubing still doesnt sound like a good idea. If you use a larger pipe to overcome the restictions from the ridges the air velocity going through the pipes will get slower once you reach a certain diameter. Too big of a pipe can hurt. You are really just better off using smooth pipe.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am studying civil engineering and i have done a lot of study on pipes.
The perfect pipe would have the relative roughness of 0
no bends or connections, headloss occurs mainly here. The engineers at mazda are no fouls, you are better off staying with the same size piping throughout.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bruce, the whole purpose of mandrel bending is so you get no kinks, thereby keeping the airflow SMOOTH through the pipe. You want no kind of restrictions at all. All the ridges in that flex pipe is gonna make your airflow really suffer. The larger size MAY negate some of that, but, I don't think it's gonna be enough to make a difference. I don't really want to discourage you, if it works, great! We've got a cheap effective upgrade. Just trying to help you think things through. Also, all those ridges are gonna create friction, which is gonna heat up the air that much more. Once again, it may not be enough of a temp increase to be noticable.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Allright, you guys have convinced me not to bother. Sounds like a waste of time and money. gonna keep hunting for those cheap ghetto mods tho :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts