Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have "too" big of a intercooler? Or is it just more time to cool? I have a stock 89 mx6 gt with what i believe is a stock turbo. I found an intercooler kit 30"-12"-3". good size! Just wondering if the extra space would choke the motor somehow? :shrug:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Is it possible to have "too" big of a intercooler? Or is it just more time to cool? I have a stock 89 mx6 gt with what i believe is a stock turbo. I found an intercooler kit 30"-12"-3". good size! Just wondering if the extra space would choke the motor somehow? :shrug:
It is possible to have too big of an intercooler. With a small turbo, it takes alot of work to fill the area of the intercooler. You will have a pressure drop with an intercooler that is too large for the turbo...

The stock intercooler is pretty efficient for the stock turbo. Unless your upgrading, I would keep a stock intercooler.

My .02

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Just keep your stock IC like gotboostmx6gt said the stock IC is pretty efficient

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
agreed. 3" opening on the intercooler with the stock piping being little under 2 " would not be good.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
The 3" he stated above is the width of the intercooler, not the inlet/outlet.

The inlet size wont cause you nearly as much problems compaired to the volume of a giant fmic.

yeah i just realized that. That intercooler is ungodly big for the stock turbo.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, OK. I want to get away from that cheesy rubber tubing. Mine is SUPER soft with some oil deposits, and I'd like to go mandrel bend. BUT!!! I cant find a 2" mandrel bend universal kit to save my soul! And... I have 2" inlet/outlet everywhere but my BOV. My BOV has a 2.5 pipe. So I either go and get 2.5" pipe, and some 2" reducers... or try and find 2" pipe and only get x2 2-2.5 reducers. Does anyone have any idea where I can get a ic kit mandrel bend?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
^^ Thats my blow off valve :) :p

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like that! It looks good! I will do that! thanks for the info! and visuals!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
lol keeloh. Yes it is yours.

Yeah you just have to use your imagination. It didnt take much work really to get the pipes to fit. The only thing you cant really do with this setup is change the stock hard pipe to the throttle body. You just need to run piping from the bottom of the intercooler to that pipe.

i have a 2.25" to 2.5" saab intercooler pipe that connects to the throttle body with a 3.5" to 2.5" 45* silicone reducer.

This pic shows the pipe here i used. It flares out to 2.5" on the end.

·
Vendor
570 Posts
While it is theoretically possible to make an intercooler too large, in practice, you'll run out of mounting space on an MX-6 before you manage to fit in an intercooler that is so large as to create significant turbo lag.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
While it is theoretically possible to make an intercooler too large, in practice, you'll run out of mounting space on an MX-6 before you manage to fit in an intercooler that is so large as to create significant turbo lag.

i wouldnt be so sure about that haha. I have my a/c condenser removed so i could fit an intercooler the size of my radiator if i really wanted to...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i am using the stock intercooler with a 1.75 hard pipes because it was closer to my stock size. im also using a 1g DSM recric valve and it pulls hard at 10 psi

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
im actually going to be using the forge bypass valve that sick swears by. It seems like a well built and sturdy valve. I just need to rearrange my piping to make it work:rolleyes:

Not too sure how im going to have it setup yet.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
i am using the stock intercooler with a 1.75 hard pipes because it was closer to my stock size. im also using a 1g DSM recric valve and it pulls hard at 10 psi
Im also runnng the dsm blow of valve :) :tup:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I might be able to rummage through my schools aluminum bin! people are ALWAYS throwing away "good" material! Some [email protected]$$ threw away a oil cooler "aluminum" for I believe a diesel truck... I jacked it and tig welded it! Haha. He is in my class and has way too much money. I got bored at school last night and made myself the spacer plate between you air intake sensor, and your cone/stock air box. And a new aluminum diamond plate battery tray!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got 2 stock intercoolers, I will probably choose the better of the 2. I have to clean them both out... they have that lovely light oil crap in them. I found a few scraps of 2" aluminum tubing. it has a thicker wall but it can be nice extra pieces.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
im with matt on this one :tup:

anything thats rated for over 250whp and under 500whp should be fine. you might notice the difference of a few hundred rpm with a fairly large one, but for most thats not a very big deal

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.