Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys seen this? It's an air filter, similar to the stock one but bigger that lays in an enclosure that is mounted in front of the radiator. Then you have piping going from that enclosure to the MAF or VAF in your vehicle. Sorta like a hotshot/stock air box kinda system. I seen the application on Civics obviously but I'm sure that with some custom piping, it should work for any car....

Anyone seen these?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
Have any of you guys seen this? It's an air filter, similar to the stock one but bigger that lays in an enclosure that is mounted in front of the radiator. Then you have piping going from that enclosure to the MAF or VAF in your vehicle. Sorta like a hotshot/stock air box kinda system. I seen the application on Civics obviously but I'm sure that with some custom piping, it should work for any car....

Anyone seen these?
Yep, in magazine ads I think.

Sort of neat idea but I can't help but equate it to "blue headlights" for people who can't afford HIDs but want the look (even if it's not a good facsimilie): the FMAC (front-mount air cleaner) might look like an intercooler but it ain't. I bet it's more decorative than functional (over and above traditional CAIs.)

This is just opinion of course. I've not seen any performance data for it but I suspect it wouldn't produce much more power than, say, a Hotshot hanging near the splash guard.

I will reserve final judgement on it until I see some testing that proves definite power gains over other CAIs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
the piping for the FMIC is alot longer than it needs to be. I don't like it aesthetically cause it looks like you're trying to hard to look boosted.

The more bends you have and the longer the piping the more restriction is placed on intake flow. Any gains from the cold air could be had through conventional CAI means.

·
Registered
231 Posts
YES I KNOW WHAT IT IS

i know what your talking about, i have seen it mags before I believe its call "Front mount intake system" or something similar to that. I have been to there web page before to see if they made it for our cars. They don't but they said they will do special orders for who ever wants them i think they run about $200-$300. If i can think of the web site i will post it. they are cool, they mount behind your bumber and it was a plastic sheild you can put up for rain and you can adjust it or take it off. It looks just like a intercooler with a big air filter there cool i want one.

·
Registered
166 Posts
as far as the way they look, that is a matter of personal opinion. i think it yells out to the world "i want a turbo but i cant afford it" what concerns me about these intakes is the fact that they block the radiator opening. in other words your intake will be stealing air that could be used to cool your radiator. does anyone have any dyno plots of this intake vs another cai manufacturer?

·
Registered
543 Posts
dj petey said:
the piping for the FMIC is alot longer than it needs to be. I don't like it aesthetically cause it looks like you're trying to hard to look boosted.

The more bends you have and the longer the piping the more restriction is placed on intake flow. Any gains from the cold air could be had through conventional CAI means.
Actually,more bends and longer piping help resenate inside of the pipe creating more lower end power and torque. You don't want to overdo it though. Usually a good size intake is about 18-25 in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The front mount CAI is an alternative to below car CAI for any automatics since the tranny blocks lower access. Of course its debatable as to wether its worth doing anything for a clunky automatic.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i wonder how many rocks that thing can take before the filter doesnt filter anymore...

G

·
"Of course its debatable as to wether its worth doing anything for a clunky automatic."

what the hell? the automatic might be clunky, but at least my automatic is mated with a v6! :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
wha?!?!? and that makes it all better?

whats so great about the V6 besides more power out of the box?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Stage36 said:
wha?!?!? and that makes it all better?

whats so great about the V6 besides more power out of the box?
Do not start yet another V6-versus-4cylinder debate here. Take it to email.

G

·
the point i was making is that since you are claiming the auto is junk, i can claim the 4 cylinder is junk! you got the best of one world, i got the best of the other world! thats all i was trying to say! get pissed if you must, but that was my point!

G

·
i didnt think to look before i replied, it wasnt you that said the auto was clunky, it was some other guy, but you got pissed about it. regardless, calling someones car junk for one thing, can only cause problems, cause the other person is gonna say something right back!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
jdre11134 said:
it wasnt you that said the auto was clunky, it was some other guy, but you got pissed about it. regardless, calling someones car junk for one thing, can only cause problems, cause the other person is gonna say something right back!
first of all, i wasnt pissed and im not now...
second, i didnt call your car, or ANYONES car for that matter, junk. i didnt even say the word junk.
third, i wouldnt call the V6 in general junk even if you asked me. i dont think that. i just think the 4-cyl is better.

saying you have the "best of the other world" (referring to engine), is your opinion. if you have premises to support this opinion, them im willing to listen. if not, then thats your opinion and im NOT gonna get mad over your opinion... why should i? we all drive MX6s here:D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Rokcrler said:
Cant we all just get along????:D
I try, but its hard when everyone gets defensive so quickly and jumps to conclusions...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts