Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to upgrade my intercooler to a real front mount. I just installed a tbird and wanted something bigger than stock as far as intercooler goes. I know the stock one is efficient enough though. I have had this intercooler sitting around for close to a year now so i figure i would put it to good use.

Here is what im planning. 2 " hardpipes to this intercooler:

My real question is will there be any real noticeable difference in lag running the piping this way? I have seen a few members on here do it this way but it would be alot easier to keep the piping the way i have it now instead of re-doing it all. Just looking for some opinions/experiences:)

Im liking this tbird so far too. I did a 30 roll with a honda S2000 (intake and headers) and i beat him with my slipping clutch in 3rd and 4th gear. I was pretty impressed on how quick they are though. I looked up specs when i got home and they have a 0-60 in 5.8 sec and a 14.1 1/4 bone stock. I was running 12-13ish psi on the tbird. I have a stage 1 southbend on the way also:jump:.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have 2 inch aluminuim hard pipes with a front mount that is very similar. boost great, and i have the tbird hybrid. me and a 2004 wrx turbo(not sti) raced and we where dead even from 60 to 120. i was @ 9psi. except my front mount is 2" inlet & outlet, not 2.5"

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Took 5 hours making custom brackets, changing the piping and removing everything but i think it came out pretty good. Im so tired i didnt even drive the car yet haha.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i could but its alright the way it is. Its not really resting on it too bad, just looks like it because its very flimsy. I just drove the car too and it seems to like the new intercooler:)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Not as much as it would like an 18"x12"x2.5-3" though.

Not knockin' you since fitting one as small as yours makes life much easier.
And it does have much larger internal tubes (bar & plate) making for better flow.

But really, that cooler probably has less actual heat transfer surface area than the stock IC.
And with the increased flow rate there is even less chance for the charge to be cooled.

I don't know how hot it gets where you are, but I think that you might have more chance of detonation now than before.

Even still, nice job and looks OK.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
im sure the intake temps wont be too bad, i have an intercooler that size, taking 20psi off my hy35, now that i have my charge pipes heat wrapped (they sit over the manifold) i dont see temps over 120 after running through the gears. granted the hy35 is much more efficient at that boost level....but i think he'll be fine

thing is as far as the dyno's i have seen, the stock turbo makes as much power on 12psi as it does 15psi. without seeing a map, i bet the tbird is very similar. i wouldnt run more than 13-14psi, all you'll be doin is blowing hot air

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im not sure how the intake temps can be bad? My intercooler piping runs in front of the radiator to the left side of the intercooler and then back up to the throttle body. It doesnt run in front of the exhaust manifold. The piping before the intercooler was even somewhat cold when i got done highway driving and in town driving. The intercooler was ice cold and the piping up to the throttle body was cold also. I would think the air intake temps would be alright.....

I dont mind having the extra piping running all the way in front of the radiator either because there really is no noticeable lag at all.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
not with the bumper off, but i can snap some pics and you'll see how it runs.

Heres a view from the driver side looking down (hopefully this was kind of obvious):

Heres a pic of the pipe running in front of the intercooler which connects to the u bend. This pipe is pre-intercooler and it was even somewhat cool to the touch.

And a pic of the in the inlet of the intercooler and the u bend i used.

i also took the vents out of the bumper. Now the air flows directly into the pre-intercooler pipe and i think this is why this pipe cools down fairly well and then the air cools even more from the intercooler.

Reactions: DarkMx-6

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok i made a quick little drawing on paint. Its not perfect obviously but here it goes:

Where that small straight pipe is i could have used a 45 degree bend coupler but i didnt have one. So i squeezed in a straight coupler to make it work. Thats why i have that 6" piece straight pipe sitting at a weird angle. Obviously there might have been better ways to do this but im happy with the way it turned out. And 1 thing i like about this as i mentioned above is the placement of the pipe in front of the radiator instead of over the exhaust manifold. I took out those plastic vents in the bumper and the air flows directly into that 18" long straigh pipe which "pre cools" the air going into the intercooler somewhat. That pipe was cool to the touch after driving around for an hour. Also with a tbird hybrid there is really no lag noticeable at all running 2" hardpipes.

I had a throttle body boot laying around from a saab and it work perfectly for the 90 degree bend i need to attach the end of the intercooler to the pipes that lead up to the throttle body. All the pipes that i needed were aquired from the cx racing kit found on ebay. Its the one that says for toyota celica and a few other vehicles. Its a universal kit that comes with 2 45 degree bends 2 straight pipes, 2 90 degree bends and 2 u bends. Also came with clamps and couplers. I used this harpipe kit for my whole piping layout and only needed a few extra couples to complete it. If you have anymore questions i can do my best to try and help.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Bar and plate VS tube and fin.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Great job, I like the fact it loops back around on top of the intercooler! Looks great!

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't want to argue, but yes, it's a chinese intercooler.

Alright. Well where ever its made, its working good for me. I also like some of the looks i get from some honda drivers:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts