Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so many different friggin kinds of intercoolers my head is starting to spin. Have any of you out there ever monitored your boost pressure loss before and after you installed the intercooler? I am still non-intercooled for the time being with the T3 and I have to say Im pretty impressed with 5 psi :E But what I am trying to find out is the power adding/losing factor of intercoolers. See at first I had that first gen IC and it was very restrictive. When I removed it I bet I gained a good 10-15 whp just from the increased flow at the same boost level (~5 psi). Have any of you had your car running non intercooled and then added a IC and noticably gained more power?? Because in my case the IC was so bad that it lost power even though the intake air temps were prolly 50 degrees hotter than before :shrug: Lemme know what your experiences have been. Thanks gents - Dan

·
Registered
583 Posts
ICs as a general rule of thumb drop 1-2psi. At any rate I highly rec. getting one, they reduce the air temp considerably, allowing for a greater amount of air to go into the throttle body, the rest is physics... The reason you would install an intercooler is not to gain hp persay just becuase of the ic itself, but rather to cool the hot ass air coming from the turbo...anytime you go over 6-7psi it is a good idea to have an ic...anything over that psi range becomes superheated air at a high cfm flow rate.....Spearco and greddy seem to make pretty good ics...ive used both on an gsx and a 6. To make a comparason. Does your car run better in the hot weather or when your slammin gears in 30 degree air? well its the same principle with the IC, just consider it a manmade Ice machine.....

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
the 1g is a damn restrictive IC.

a 2g dsm might be a better choice if you need to stick with one that small.

Look into liquid/air setups - thats what i'm having done. the core can be MUCH smaller (in my case 4"x6"x6" is MORE than enough - its the core they sell on 600HP mustang street kits) and by design the airflow is straight through, uninterrupted saveby the water cores. <1psi loss is typical... plus the eficiency is greater, albeit the complexity of the system/maintenance is higher. not bothersome to me.. i didnt turbo my car and expect no maintenance. :)

you can also do a reverse l/a setup - ie: use a regular air to air, then build a casing around it to submerge it in pumped liquid... limited to the IC's efeiciency, so losses may be great, but has better short term cooling, since you can have ice packed directly onto the fins, just before the air enters the engine, without worrying about ingesting said ice into the engine :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
those are some good ideas. I knew that I needed a good intercooler from the start but I wanted to probe to some people that I could turbo my car for $500 and I did it. The prob was you have to resort to junkyard intercoolers and turbos to do it. So I am going to continue with my huge front mount idea I started out with:

Its 2 probe intercooler cores put into one. Its almost ready to be welded but I have some end tank work left to do cause they are too large. As is there it will have way too much volume to fill and I'd get lag out the butt! But so far I think its a good plan and should be fairly good flowing with a decent temp drop....WE'LL SEE! :) Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
DrBrown said:
those are some good ideas. I knew that I needed a good intercooler from the start but I wanted to probe to some people that I could turbo my car for $500 and I did it. The prob was you have to resort to junkyard intercoolers and turbos to do it. So I am going to continue with my huge front mount idea I started out with:

Its 2 probe intercooler cores put into one. Its almost ready to be welded but I have some end tank work left to do cause they are too large. As is there it will have way too much volume to fill and I'd get lag out the butt! But so far I think its a good plan and should be fairly good flowing with a decent temp drop....WE'LL SEE! :) Thanks guys.
dear god frankenstein. :)

are you planning on keeping the endtanks on the vertical ends of the cores, or will you be making something for the sides?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
This is how my buddy explained how bad those probe IC are....

Drink alot of water and go into the bathroom.
Take your free hand and clamp around your manhood hold tightly and try to pee.There you go.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HAHAHAHA awesome, I tried it and it burns @-

haha anyway, the problem with those intercoolers is the endtank design is HORRID and the inlets are pointing a bad angle. Not ot mention the small ass inlet diameter for 1.75" rather than a spearco which goes side to side and has 2.5" inlets. So according to all the calculations and thinking this should do well in teh end. And yes the endtanks no longer look like that. At the ends of the cores the tank is angled now at a 45 degree angle so its much better now. Ill post pics sometime soon when its welded together.

·
Registered
89 Posts
for the mild setup that would go on a mx6. I would look for a smaller spearco core with verticle end tanks. you get less presure drop and faster spool time. I had one on my mirage and loved it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just as an update I did finally complete the intercooler if anyone cares heh. Its got 2.25" inlets for better flow and I figure with teh runners going up and down rather than being so long and going side to side its going to flow pretty decent. Soooo here is the final product after we got her welded up and i must say its much better looking than I thoguht it would be at first.

On a side note, its 30*F here right now nad I was out tonight raping my car and it pulled the hardest I've felt so far. I was very impressed with this baby T3's performance. I raced a loser in a beretta 3.1L and wasted my gas just because the car felt so stout tonight. Boy did I feel for the kid afterwards, it wasnt pretty hahaha. Anyway Im hoping I will get this IC on the next time its above 45* out cause right now Im not crawling under the car in the snow!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
looks good:D so whats ur total cost been so far? I'm lookin to turbo on tight budget this summer, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
for turboing and intercooling a car for under 500 bucks.... thats awesome. did you make your own manifold? thats the expensive part even if you use all used junkyard parts.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was no manifold work since I have the V6, I used the stock exhaust manifolds and just ran collector pipes from there to the turbo in teh battery location. I dont recommend trying to do what I did for price because it was just silly and I had a free turbo (old junker). Let's put it this way, since I started my initial kit was about $650-700 after everythig stopped leaking and breaking. Since then I have bought 2 more turbos and built an intercooler. But for $1000 you can have a darn nice, efficient daily driver with a turbo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts