Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was perusing my shop manual tonight and found some interesting numbers.
Many people have asked "what's the stock boost pressure?"
And recently there was a thread about our injector size.

Here's what I found, and probably many of you know this already....

Boost:
@ solonoid duty value = 0%, boost is 6.5 psi
@ solonoid duty value = 100%, boost is 8.7psi

Injectors:
Turbo injectors were listed, curiously, as being 73-90cc/15 seconds. Converting that to minutes you end up with
292-360cc/min. Now in an earlier post I remember someone said our injectors were 320 or 330cc/min, so the 360 figure looks interesting until you average 292 and 360 together to get 326cc/min. Hmmm... are injectors usually listed as their average injection amount? I don't know.
For you N/A guys, your injectors are 176-244cc/min.:rolleyes:

Other stuff for fun:
Steering turns lock to lock for the 2ws people is 2.93 turns (this actually a good quick number.) Be happy you don't have manual steering (unless you do), becuase manual is 4.32 turns. You lucky 4ws peopl get a mere 2.4 (that's freakin' fast.)

Alloy turbo wheels are listed as 6-JJ X 15 with a 42mm offset.
LX/DX people get 5.5-J X 14.
I wish I knew what those Js are for.

Turbo clutch disc has an outer/inner diameter of 240/160mm

Our gas tanks are supposed to have a 15.9 US gallon capacity, but I've never gotten more than 13 in mine.:confused:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Since the LX/DX rims are listed at 5.5, I would figure that the GT rims would be listed at 6.5 if they really were 6.5. Any idea on how to measure the width of a rim? I have a spare from the 88-89 years. When I put the tape accross it, it shows 6.5

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I didnt even know that our cars were available without power steering. I've seen some barebones DX's without A/C, but they all had P/S.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've found that with the factory boost control solenoid adjusted 2 turns out the boost is just over 11psi. I have it powered up directly to not allow the computer to reduce my boost. The JJ in the wheel size has to do with the configuration of the rim where the tire mounts. When I put a new gas tank in one of my cars I was able to put in 16 gallons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
heh, the reason you've never been able to get more than 13 in your tank is because you (usually) don't fill it from 0 gallons in the tank. Seems our fuel light comes on a bit early (2.1-3.1 gallons, 8-12 liters, so says the owner's manual) ... Hell, if it comes on with 3 gallons left, that's almost 100 more miles I can go. Then you'll get all 15.9 in the tank.

Speaking of injectors, I ran 2 bottles of RedLine Injector Cleaner in my car (both at once, on half a tank of gas ... this much cleaner *should* treat 200 gallons of gas :D ) After about 40 miles of driving, I noticed a pretty reasonable jump in power in the midrange. I'd imagine this would be pretty damn nice if I had the turbo.. although with those bigger injectors, I'd probably run 3 bottles in there! (ok, thats going nuts)

·
Registered
449 Posts
To clear up the issue on rims width, it is 6x15 not 6.5x15. I have proof. I own 1988 626 and 1991 Mx6 showroom brochures.

The 1988 626 brochure says in the literature when talking about the GTs, that it has 6x15 rims.

Just a fun fact, in 1991 GTs were offered the option to have 205/60VR15 tires.

Also in the 1988 626 brochure, all DXs have P/S as standard. I have no clue why the workshop manual show and talk about the manual steering.

Maybe Mazda sold some cars in fleets.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Picture for proof

The 626 there is a Claret Mica 4WS turbo 4-door. ABS and auto trans were standard on the 4WS. Only year that Mazda had a 4-door 626 turbo. This car was limited production, much like the Protege MP3.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Auto only - damn that sucked. I can verify that the rims are 15x6 now. Measurements are takend from inside the bottom of the lip to the same on the other side.

·
Registered
449 Posts
yeah that's too bad that they only offered it in the auto trans form. But I think you do a swap to a 5-spd easy enough.

I was lucky enough to actually see one of those limited production cars, up here in WA. It was still in one piece, decent shape and had the destinctive rims.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I owned and dismantled an 88 626 turbo. It was a 5 speed. It had the 4WS wheels, but no 4WS. That sucked, and so it was dismantled.

·
Registered
449 Posts
it didn't have the steering-shaft and steering gear in the back? A lot of the times it seems that the 4ws isn't working. Around 100k the 4ws breaks.

Was it a 4-door? If it was then it was definitely a 4WS car. You could only get a 4-door turbo with the 4WS option. Unfortuante, if it was

·
Registered
449 Posts
Another fact most do not know

Some 1990+ LXs have rear disc brakes, not only GTs.

The LXs that have rear discs are the very few LXs that were equipped with ABS. Mazda decided to just use the GT's system instead of designing a drum ABS system.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Believe me- NO 4WS. Mine had no ABS and No 4WS. No auto either. I still have the rear suspension. All 626's are 4 door.

·
Registered
449 Posts
nope Mazda made 5-door 626 as well. Anarchyx owns a 5-door.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a 626 turbo sedan (not 5 door) WITHOUT 4WS in a junk yard in St. Louis. Me and the Mazdamiester got a caliper off of it, so I know it wasn't 4ws.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hmmmmm

maybe it was one of those changes. The 88 brochure I have was printed in 1987. I've found another inconsistency, the ABS unit is different and mounted on the passenger side not the driver side.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sorry, 4dr and 4dr w/hatch

·
Registered
449 Posts
ok i goofed. The 4ws system was only available to the 4-door (no hatch), in 1988 anyway. The 4-door cars were offered in just the turbo as well. SORRY!

:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts