Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the mazda dealer today to check some stuff today. I asked the guy at the parts counter to tell me whether or not the connecting rods and crankshaft are in fact different. This is what he told me (paraphrased):

The crankshaft is the same. The connecting rods are probably the same because he only had one part number for them.

booyah...only main difference I see internally are the exhaust valves, springs, pistons and possibly the oil control and compression rings (I doubt however).

That parts I had him check are for a 1989.

Yes I should note that I have said in the past that the fuel injectors are the same, however they are infact difference (they are larger).

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, according to the Mazda dealer here in Tacoma anyway.

So, the n/as are capable of some low pressure boost.

·
Registered
261 Posts
hurddawg said:
Yah, according to the Mazda dealer here in Tacoma anyway.

So, the n/as are capable of some low pressure boost.
Actually... low pressure boost wouldnt be a good idea, considering the Timing Advance System works with VACUUM!!!!! IF you start pumping positive pressure in there you'll start WAY advancing your timing... you'll have to get an aftermarket control system and an aux injector would be advisable. Not to mention useing GT rings, seeing as the n/a Iron Ductile rings cant take much pressure. Other than that, not a bad idea at all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it would be a tad on the expensive side to actually do it. Could it would be able to produce some good HP numbers with the higher compression. I think a lot of things wouldn't quite work mainly because the n/a doesn't have a vacuum retainer like the GT.

I wonder if the 8.6 CR pistons would hold up, like you said, if you changed the rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts