Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... so i sold my spare MR2 head to this guy alright, so i was talking to him, and he was talking about how his parents were pissed that he had all these cars etc in the yard and his mom was threatening to throw him out. im like 'what? thats a little extreme dont you think?' and he goes 'yea.. well.. after i built this, it kinda put her over the edge'... and im sorry, but i had to share this with you guys, becuase holy crap, its awesome:

The contraption he built to swap in his motor:

Yes, that is a lift. Yes, its made out of 18 cinderblocks, 6 4x4s, 2 2x4s and a street sign post. And yes, its wrapped in plastic pallet wrap. You saw it here first folks. -- He 'borrowed' the cinderblocks from a nearby construction site, so no, he didnt end up spending more on the cinderblocks then he would have on a real engine hoist.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
so he basically parks the car there, jacks it up, then drops the motor out from the bottom with this lift? then pull the new motor up into place with the lift? im not understanding how that makes it even worth having... or is he actually jacking up the ass of the MR2? ugh.....

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, its made to pull the car away from the engine, and then drop the car back onto the engine. thats really the only way to get one of these motors out. especially if you wanna include the tranny.

if you realy look at the construction, the 4x4s will hold all the blocks together, and the wrap is just to keep the blocks from twisting on themselves under weight. the outside 4x4s are attached at the top for 'leaning'. regardless.... with the motor/suspension out of the car, you can lift the whole rear end with your hands quite easily. the car weighs nothing.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ahahah yea i know! damn southerners! hahaha. but nope, this is 100% NY action. apparently there are laws in his town/state that you cant do major repairs on your car in your driveway, you cant have eyesores in your front yard, and you cant construct anything taller than 9' that isnt a house/shed/etc. he broke all 3. hahah. he got his final warning from the cops that if he didnt take it down, the town would bring legal action.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hahah yes, which is why it threw his mom over the edge on the wanting him out of the house. so funny. he wasnt going for asthetics, only purpose. and hey, it worked.. it got his motor swap done a lot faster than it would have, had he not had anything. i give him props for doing the swap himself regardless of what he had available. luckily, when i did mine, i had a garage, real lift, and any tool id ever need at my disposal. .. in my opinion, your not a real mr2 owner until you've swapped your own motor.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MX6_VTECH said:
So all he needs to do is bump that the wrong way while its holding the motor and BAM! Really cool but, sooo unsafe.
Like he said, it holds the car. and only when he was pulling the motor out from under it, and pushing it back in. otherwise, it sits on the jackstands that are sitting right next to it. and yes, its EXTREMELY unsafe.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
that's great...

honestly, if he secured it to the ground, that thing would support just about anything... sinking the 4x4's 2 feet into the ground (with cement) and adding surface mortar in the cracks is all thats to it for cinder block walls - sometimes 10-12 feet high!

but as is - lol i would be so pissed if that were my house. engine hoists arent THAT much - and you can often re-sell them for nearly as much as you paid.. i see it all the time "engine hoist.. used once - 120.00" on craigslist lol. and yeah bench pressing an engineless mr2 rear is nothing :p i think there's a vid of me and some friends floating around, doing just that... you know.. to impress people who don't know any better LOL LOL.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
actually, wont autozone just sell you an engine hoist and then just give you a full refund for it once your finished with it? i know they do it with alot of tools that you only use every once in a blue moon...not sure on the hoist tho

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
no - i tried lol. BUT some local construction supply places, that rent tools, will. I found out only after i purchased one that i could have rented one for 20.00 from one of these supply yards. lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.