Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
well i busted my timing belt, and tried to start my car for quite awhile, no valve damage or anything. The belt broke while I was doing about 30 mph, and the car was in gear, so I am sure the engine kept moving. Mazda says these engines are interference, but everyone who has broken a timing belt has not seen any damage from that. It's a huge debate; basically I think it is safe to say that the engine is non interference

·
Registered
80 Posts
IM GONNA FIND OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL ! :)

my car is past 400,000 Km now and I did not replace the timing belt . I will drive on till the belt breaks to see if any damage happens.

:E

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just as a warning Gullwing...on my dad's Toro lawnmower, all 4 wheels came loose and began wobbling really bad. He decided to let the thing die...so he stopped putting oil in it. It hasn't died yet.

G

·
Illswyn said:
Just as a warning Gullwing...on my dad's Toro lawnmower, all 4 wheels came loose and began wobbling really bad. He decided to let the thing die...so he stopped putting oil in it. It hasn't died yet.
hahhahaa.....

Its non interference, I've had the head off three times...Trust me.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
testing the t-belt

Gullwing said:
IM GONNA FIND OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL ! :)

my car is past 400,000 Km now and I did not replace the timing belt . I will drive on till the belt breaks to see if any damage happens.

:E
Good luck, chances are someone who previously owned the "6" had it replaced before you. But the question is.......do you feel lucky ? While a broken belt may not cause internal "interference" damage, where's the remaining shreds going to end up ?
It seems senseless to risk any unnecessary damage to your trusty beloved "6", unless of course you're on a deathwish mission..........why even bother changing the oil, be like the "Toro" lawnmower.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good for you guys if you feel confident but I'm worried about my DOCH engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
LoL Illswyn, nice one about the Lawnmower from Hell heheh

I hope My mx6 will be this rugged.

Jonnybegoode, I've had my mx-6 for a while now ( since 350,000 KM ) so I am assuming the belt was changed at 300,000 Km

I'm not on a death wish , and I take excellent care of the car , and I was going to replace the T-belt this week but I want a definitive answer for the Interference question , so for the sake of the mx-6 community I am willing to risk my engine to get a final answer.

if any damage occurs I will rebuild the engine fully :) even though its only a DX , i love my 6.

·
Registered
387 Posts
i'm tired of this stupid thread coming up. It's a non-interference motor.

There have been way too many cases of people losing timing belts while driving and then simply replacing them and starting the car right back up. If it was interference, we would see a lot of cases of valve damage.

If you want to find out how much piston to vavle clearance there is, clay it and measure it. You'll probably see that the piston to valve is a lot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Zombie , you have GT turbo motor. are you saying the N/A is also non-interference ?

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
You know there is a simple answer for this. Assume it is, it is safer. If it's not then your lucky. I can count on one hand the number of people in this forum where knowing things like the valve to piston clearance is important. Also spend the 35$ and replace the belt. It is not hard at all and can be done with only basic tools.

Thread Closed, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

~Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.